Tweeter getting bass

ZarazuaT

So I recently installed my Polk db6501 into my 15 Accord. The speakers sound great but if I turn it up to a certain point it sounds like the tweeters are getting some bass. The tweeters crackle a bit at higher volumes but only when a bass note hits. If I turn down the bass on the Hu it goes away. II also want to mention that the signal is coming from a LC7i. Can anyone explain why? I read somewhere that at higher volumes L that bass can bleed through to the tweeters. They are hooked up to an old 4ch solid Alpine amp. I bought bass blockers but have yet to install them. Any input would be appreciated.

Something's wrong. The passive crossovers will hipass the tweeters at 4000 Hz, there should be no bass. You have 'em hooked up right?

Yeah, crossovers are set at -3db. Everything is installed correctly. Only when i turn them up pretty loud it starts to crackle like they're getting some bass signal. Could it be possible that both crossovers are faulty?

Yeah, crossovers are set at -3db. Everything is installed correctly. Only when i turn them up pretty loud it starts to crackle like they're getting some bass signal. Could it be possible that both crossovers are faulty?
possibly, if theyre close to a driver's motor the inductor wired in parallel with the load within the high pass crossover section can be susceptible to electromagnetic interference and pass lower frequencies to it

possibly, if theyre close to a driver's motor the inductor wired in parallel with the load within the high pass crossover section can be susceptible to electromagnetic interference and pass lower frequencies to it

So would a Bass blocker help? I bought my polks off amazon. I heard that polk won't warranty anything bought from them since they aren't an authorized retailer or something.

It depends on what type of crossovers you are using...

If it is a 6 - 12db/octave, you will get some bleed. If its a 24/db, it would be possible to have bleed at very high volume levels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a crossover just a reduction of X Db per octave?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover (at the bottom under 1st through 4th order)

I've always noticed a little bleed, but keep the volume below the point where the speakers are "straining" or screaming to be turned down. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It depends on what type of crossovers you are using...
If it is a 6 - 12db/octave, you will get some bleed. If its a 24/db, it would be possible to have bleed at very high volume levels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a crossover just a reduction of X Db per octave?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover (at the bottom under 1st through 4th order)

I've always noticed a little bleed, but keep the volume below the point where the speakers are "straining" or screaming to be turned down. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
its a 12db per octave/40db per decade (2nd order) and you are correct.

a 4th order butterworth (24db per octave) would work well but you'd need a 31 band per channel eq to boost or cut any loss or gain in response on either side of the crossover point, provided clarity being an issue

the lower the value, the higher the crossover point,.. set the attenuation switch to 0db as the drop and gain change the load impedance of the tweeter itself.

the 14mf cap will pass everything above ~3khz@4ohm, ~1.3khz@8ohm, and ~5.5khz@2ohm

the 133mf cap will pass everything above ~300hz@4ohm, ~150hz@8ohm, and ~600@2ohm; best used for your mid/midbass

the lower the value, the higher the crossover point,.. set the attenuation switch to 0db as the drop and gain change the load impedance of the tweeter itself.
the 14mf cap will pass everything above ~3khz@4ohm, ~1.3khz@8ohm, and ~5.5khz@2ohm

the 133mf cap will pass everything above ~300hz@4ohm, ~150hz@8ohm, and ~600@2ohm; best used for your mid/midbass
Thank you for all your help. I will install the 14mf cap and check back when I'm done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.