turbo whistle or supercharger whine?

Id go turbo for teh win!!!11!one!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif but **** the bov id rather take the sound of a forge dv back into the intake

I like the sound of a turbo to a SC, I just don't like how it sounds like the belts always got something wrong with it.

As far as NA old cars.... My dad's old Boss 302 with 12:1 sounded FAN-****ING-TASTIC!

Ya gotta love the sound of a turbo kicking in but I would still rather have a SC. You don't see SC quite as much, least not around here. Sweet site Dropbasss, gotta love all the truck pulls in it!

Jon

BOVs will not enhance performance. they're nothing but noise makers that end up throwing check engine lights and causing engine performance problems. believe it or not you're better off with a diverter system.

as far as noise goes.. gotta love american muscle big or small block, headers, exhaust, a cam so radical the car barely idles, and the whine we all love from Pete Jackson timing gears. *sigh*

How exactly does a BOV not enhance performance? It allows the boost to be diverted to (the atmosphere in my case) so that the boost doesn't work against itself during a shift.

How exactly does a BOV not enhance performance? It allows the boost to be diverted to (the atmosphere in my case) so that the boost doesn't work against itself during a shift.
when you let go of the throttle it's acutally better for the boost pressure to be re-circulated around and around again until the throttle is opened again instead of being dumped out and lost. why would you want too loose so much boost? and what exactly are you talking about working against itself during shift?

the usual problem that i've seen is when you dump the boost outside via a blowoff valve, the air that has been metered by the mass air flow sensor is lost causing computer miscalculations. the computer has already measured the amount of air coming in using the mass air flow sensor and know's what and when to add fuel, but by dumping out the air that the computer has already registered your throwing off the computer.. +bing+. "Oh no my check light is on:(" when you lose all that air you'll get too rich on intitial run and overun. you're actually losing power here. over time you may notice bucking and hesitation on takeoff. not to mention the overly rich mixture fouling your plugs even in some cases ruining your catalytic converter. blowoff valves.. blitz is the worse.. aren't reliable.. the diaphram will leak pressure back into the intake and you'll never know... get a good diverter system installed dyno/track before and after and you'll see for yourself.

They don't add any performance, they add the noise associated with them, but that's it.

If your car was designed with a stock BOV that fully dumps into the atmosphere, all an aftermarket BOV is going to do is change the sound...and maybe hold pressure better.

If your car is setup to run a recirc. pattern (like mine, and I assume

Qoob's) a BOV will make you run rich. Like mentioned earlier, the ECU accounts for this air that is getting recirculated...it's not actually being measure because it happens after the MAF, but it is figured into the equation. You take it away, you run rich.

They are perfectly fine if your car is setup to be used with them...but if not, they aren't so hot.

Honestly, other than a high pitched kkktchhssss they make, my DV sounds the same, cept lower pitcheds...actually I think mine sounds cooler, but to each their own.

Yes a diverter may be better than a BOV, But no a BOV is not just a sound. Thats quite possibly the most ignorant thing i've ever heard, and sounds like it came straight from the marketing team of whoever you bought your recirc setup from.

No, a BOV is not the end all be all to turbos, it has its trade offs like everything else. But, I NEVER had a problem with mine causing rich conditions, and i was at 14psi. Not sure how your mafs work, but my dodge had a map, (manifold air pressure), perhaps thats the reason. Research shows that a lot of cars do have rich problems(still no dodges that i found), but nobody on my dodge forums has ever mentioned a problem with them. I (read used to) know tons of people running 12sec cars that all ran BOVs, these are people that dyno their cars after even the simplest of changes, if a BOV didn't increase performance, it wouldn't have been on the car, but nobody removed them. Instead they found ways to make them better. I personally noticed a huge difference in the boost that I had after a shift, but thats seat of my pants and watching the boost gauge's needle, not hardcore numbers.

3am...too much thinking

As a former turbo car owner(DSM), I enjoy a turbo whine much more than a sc whine. I dont mean the BOV noise either. The BOV sounds cool, but nothing like a huge turbo spooling up. The sound is amazing.
i love my turbo spooling up.. sounds awsome

I don't care what it is, BB, SB, NA, FI, V-twin, etc, as long as it makes a lot of power and/or torque, I love it. I would have to say though, while I love torque, the sound of a small displacement high revving indy car type engine is lovely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

eisenhower

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
eisenhower
motown
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date