2002 Mustang GT & 1,000 bucks

MisterGrubbs
5,000+ posts

Kinda Old School
Okay, so I'm looking at trading my truck straight up for an 02 GT. After putting in my System and Buying a 68 Mustang that I really want for a project car, I should have in the neighborhood of 1,000 to spend.

What can I do to help the most in terms of performance?

A nice intake and a nice exhaust is a given, but what's next? Headers? A Chip? What?

I'm trying to stay away from a supercharger, at least until I can build the motor up a little bit.

Intake plus Exhaust I figure will run me 500 ish. What's next?

If you are not smog-controlled then long tube headers will give you the most power per $. Next a cat-less midpipe and then the cat-back would be next in decreasing power/$. There is not a ton to be gained in a GT from the intake/ intake manifold but there is some, say 15 hp at most.

The chip will produce a little power but make sure you research the one you want because some have made the engine run too lean and that can burn up the pistons.

For about $2,000-$3,000 the modular v8's can gain a ton of power from a good porting job on the cylinder heads, and there is a "smidgen" of torque gainable through a pully set from, say, steeda or the likes.

That's all I can think of at the moment //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

get straight pipes for like 100bucks well atleast I can headers run you down about 350-400 not to sure how much they cost on mustangs. Then basic stuff like using mobile 1 oil some nice plugs and wires (boesh, accel, ngk) intake a nice cam and a chip all that should run you somewhere in the feild of 1000dollars and you should see a nice 45+ hp gain.

They come stock with electric fans. Can't run and elctric pump because of the belt. The only one's they make don't allow use of the accessories without a totally different belt arrangement.

I don't know how the GT's fare with Longtubes, but I know I could not do any trans work with my BBK and MACs in the way. The Hookers supposedly do not have to be removed/loosened, etc to get to the tranny.

The best bet for an intake would be the Bullit, but they are pricey and really IMO, only worth the money is you are going to do some serious engine mods or forced induction/nitrous.

People complain about mileage with a gear change, but who really buys a Mustang if they're worried about mileage. Just an FYI though, I have 4:10s in my Cobra and my last road trip, I averaged 32 MPG on the highway. I get a constant 20-22 in the city, but my exhaust is far from stock and my intake is opened up a little as well, so don't expect great numbers with an otherwise stock setup.

Some good suggestions here.

Replacing the stock Shifter is a must. I recommend the new MGW unit. It's far superior to the Tri-Ax, and Pro-5.0 IMO. I love it.

I have about $6K into my suspension and that has been the largest improvement for me. No sense in upgrading the power unless you can harness it well.

Eh, I don't like any of the aftermarket shifters I've tried. The easiest long tube headers to work with are the Hooker, and SLP..... but as I stated before, Longtubes are illegal in most urban areas, so check your local laws on such things.

Eh, I don't like any of the aftermarket shifters I've tried. The easiest long tube headers to work with are the Hooker, and SLP..... but as I stated before, Longtubes are illegal in most urban areas, so check your local laws on such things.

Have you tried the MGW?

I have no experience with the SLPs, but the Hookers were my 3rd try and I'll be ****ed if I change the headers on that again. No thanks.

I never said the headers were an easy fit, those just allow trans. access. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Yes I tried teh MGW, it felt great but the throws were too short for me. I'm kind of done going out to the local strip. I hit my goal and have not had $ to upgrade and try to beat my times //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.