Trying something new...

Ineedmorebass
10+ year member

So, I previously made some posts about my 2 12s, and yada yada.

Got rid of that those.

Now..

RE Audio comes highly recommended from some, and frowned upon by others... Read a lot of complaints about the quality of their new stuff, as it has been outsourced. The RE SXX appears to be built in the USA.

A friend of mine ordered 2 SXX 15s a few months ago for cheap, and ended up not using them

because they wouldn't fit in his Aveo, so he went with 12s, and kept the 15s. Anyways, I managed to jew him out of one for 175 bucks. Unopened box. :p

Now, in order for me to make the 15 fit in the trunk of my Civic, I had to make a top firing box. (15" sub, box needs to be removeable and the opening of my trunk is only 14"...)

I put together a 4 cubic ft + PD box, chillin' at a tune around 34hz. Came out pretty friggin' sweet.

Heard good and bad things about top firing boxes, but 3 of the loudest stereos I've ever heard had up firing subs...

Made the box so the port vents to the left rear of the trunk, where there was the most open area. The woofer is situated mostly under the rear deck (I can turn the box 360 to see what sounds best..)

Took the fiber board off the deck, and did some drilling and chopping to allow more bass to enter the cabin. Matted the trunk lid.

Got an AQ2200 on the way, won't be here until friggin' Friday.

Prolly break the sub in "gently" and then hit it with around 1250 rms..

How do y'all think it's gonna sound?

up firing is fine you will just notice alot more rattles from all the pressure from the cone hitting the trunk lid directly. hatchbacks and suvs to great upfiring as the hatch kinda aims the sound towards the front of the car.

all and all it should sound fine and you could prolly run the full 2200 to that sxx but being conservative is prolly smart if you dont have alot of experience with car audio.

Some loud people in MN use woofers firing the cone into the cabin (front firing) then firing the port on the driver side of the trunk thus metering better than firing it off the passenger side of the trunk.

Winkychevelle, you think the SXX's could handle 2200? 3" aluminum coils, so I wondered. Seen other 3" aluminum coil subs take that. I'd only read about

people pushing 1500 to them, but I haven't read into it thaaat much yet. If that little ho will take 2200, that would be pretty ridiculous.

I have a decent amount of car audio experience, prolly had like 8 systems and installed another 10. Usually just slapping subs in prefab boxes or shop made boxes

and hooking up an amp with a similar rating. This is, however, my first experience building my own box and running a decent amount of juice.

Visceral,

MN eh, you're in Rochester, eh? I'm in Duluth right now preparing to pound all the way back to AZ...

I thought about that idea, but due to the nature of my trunk's dimensions, I went with upfiring through the deck against the rear window, with the port facing the drivers side, at the tail end of the box. Used a hole saw to rip about 20 holes in the deck. That ******. :p

I'll post some pics a little later...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I got the SXX in the box I made, hooked it up to a friend's Kicker DX 1000.1 until I get my amp. Sub looked nice. Wired it to 1 ohm, let it play with all of the bass settings for awhile just to make sure everything was working. Driver and enclosure sounding real nice. Real nice

Surprisingly nice. After awhile, reset the gains and set the amp's bass boost to about 65%. Turned the bass to +2 on my deck. Volume up. When the ******* bass hit, it literally put a tear in my eye. No question in my mind that it was louder than the L7 15 in my old wagon on an Alpine 1000. My friends that heard it agreed. I am totally satisfied with how it sounds. Hits notes perfectly, hits way harder than I expected. Annnd then I turned the sub output volume up another notch, blew rhe chinsy 80 amp fuse I had in my old 4 gauge power wire. 0 gauge with new fuse and amp on Friday. Gonna break her in for awhile and prolly hit 'er with about 1500 rms. Oooh babeh, can't wait... Oooh babeh...

BTW, stock electric + 2 of the big three. Sometime early next week putting a 160 amp alternator in, along with a buncha other crap. Pretty "amped" about the setup. Way better than the 2 JBL GT5-12s I had in here. Way better...

Anyways, I managed to jew him out of one for 175 bucks. Unopened box. :p

5756.jpg

Rabbi cat is not amused.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.