Tryin to follow the Gain Setting Tutorial...

qtipextra
5,000+ posts

The Original
My target wattage is 1200 W. thats 48.9897 volts (at 2 ohms)

So my question is, Hifonics at 2 ohms, and at different ohms its puts out different amouts of power. So would I need to have the 2 ohm load hooked up to get the right read out?

EDIT: Yep, my bad, 1 too many zeros.

My target wattage is 12000 W. thats 48.9897 volts (at 2 ohms)
So my question is, Hifonics at 2 ohms, and at different ohms its puts out different amouts of power. So would I need to have the 2 ohm load hooked up to get the right read out?
no, I think you ment 1200 watts, and the voltage stays the same no matter what ohm load.

48 volts and 2 ohms is 1200, while 48 volts into 1 ohm is more.

of course I could be totally wrong.

I'm assuming you mean 1200watts. 12000 would be pretty nuts! You don't need a load because you're figuring the impedance and wattage into the equation. The voltage becomes the variable that you are measuring for.

Mike

the power (wattage) equation for this purpose (the variables you have) is P = V^2 / R. Where P stands for power or the wattage your amp is putting out because power is the rate of using energy which is expressed as watts, V is your volts and R is your resistance. So ya the volts should remain the same no matter what your resistance or ohms are.

Yea, i ment 1200. Thanks for explaining it.

We all gotta have noob questions once in a while or we'd mever learn!

One more question: For some odd reason my multimeter will go to about 38 volts, then say overload. Yes, I have it on AC. So what do I do now.

Hmmm my multimeter never says "overload" itll display a "1" if the reading is too high for the current setting lol...just try bumping it up to a higher AC setting. and make sure your multimeter is rated for the higher AC voltages...or it wont work =P

the display says overload? Thats weird. Maybe switch it to a higher AC setting. Like 200 or sumthing.
Yea, the display says overload, and the multimeter will read up to 700 vac. And it works when I pug it into an outlet, it reads 120. I just dont know why it freaks up on my amp output.

What volume are your settin ur gains at by the way?
The max i would use it at, which is max (62/62). Would turning it down to the recommended 3/4 help?

The max i would use it at, which is max (62/62). Would turning it down to the recommended 3/4 help?
YES! dont turn your HU up all the way, HUs distort too ya know

im guessing you have a Pioneer, on mine, i dont turn it up past 42, seems to start distorting after that point

Well, just tried it again. This time with the HU at 45. And the Bass EQ +0 db, the remote bass bosster at +0 db. and with the gain all the way up, it only read 1.2 vac. WTF? Then I turned up the bass EQ to +18 db, and I can only get it to about 35 volts with gain all the way up. Then I turn my HU up to max and it only increases it a volt or so. Then I turn the the remote bass boost up and at the first click, about +2 db, & multimeter overloads.

Well, just tried it again. This time with the HU at 45. And the Bass EQ +0 db, the remote bass bosster at +0 db. and with the gain all the way up, it only read 1.2 vac. WTF? Then I turned up the bass EQ to +18 db, and I can only get it to about 35 volts with gain all the way up. Then I turn my HU up to max and it only increases it a volt or so. Then I turn the the remote bass boost up and at the first click, about +2 db, & multimeter overloads.
ur dmm is shat. Even my 6 dollar DMM doesnt do that. Sorry to go off on ur DMM but thats the only thing that i think could be wrong here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.