truck mods

Participant count
  • Participant list

JDoggHSTX
10+ year member

Texas
i read the previous post about this stuff, but ive got some more ????s, so here goes. ive got a 98 dodge ram std. cab, but ive only got a 3.9 v6. i know POS, so what im thinking of doing is dropping at least a 350 into it in a few months. what size engine should i get, and what mods should i do to it? also, i need some ideas on costs, because im still in school and therefore on a slightly limited budget (probably about 10-11 g by then). i know next to nothing about engines and that type of stuff, so i appreciate the help. also, what sites could i visit to learn more about this stuff?

slightly limited budget (probably about 10-11 g by then
for that limited budget, i'd suggest a 427 hemi, with ram air and fuel injection, and you won't need nothing else...........'cept new motor mounts ,tranny bell housing, tranny beefed up and new front springs. otherwise..............

find a new model 360(out of a wrecked ram or catalog) any mounts bellhousing(not for sure if the mounts and housing are the same from the 3.9 to 5.9) you'll need and then hit the basics. after that w/ a projected budget like you've set the sky's the limit!

10-11Gs?

Hmm, probably if I were you I would go to a junk yard or catalog (as previously suggested) and drop a V-10 down in it. You should be able to get the motor mounts off a truck in the junk yard. You will need another rear end more than likely.

Your truck probably has a 3.73 rear end, and you would need a 4.10. If not you would probably have way to much tork out of your engine. And just spin the tires all day.

You will also probably need a new tranny for either engine (360 or the V10). I dont remember the exact size of the V10, I know the Vipers is an 8L, but not sure about the pickup version.

You will definatly need some new exaust. Try Gibbson or Flowmasters. You can actually do true dual when you drop a new engine, just have to have the computer configured for a dual O2 sensor, and dual cat system. Drop a decent racing cam in there, nice rockers, and rollers. Have a mod chip to speed up the timing and mathc hte air and fuel mixture.

Add a K&N Cold Air induction ( I know this runs a little over $200).

A 160 or 180 degree thermostat.

More than likely a new front suspension to compensate for the different weight of the new engine.

HMM, lets see what else??? Is it 4X4?

I drive a 2002 v6, traded in my baby, a 99 318. Dang lease. Try this webstie it is were I go for all the Dodge stuff I can handle. Dodgetrucks.org They also have links to Mopar and all other things. They all seem to be able to modif anything. Mayb ethings are cheaper everywhere but in Texas, bigger state bigger prices I guess lol. Anyway hope this helps, I wish I could give you some better pricing but I am not sure on all that and wouldn't want to lie to ya. Good Luck Magoo

Your truck probably has a 3.73 rear end, and you would need a 4.10. If not you would probably have way to much tork out of your engine. And just spin the tires all day.
not trying to be rude, but if he'd drop in lower gears, he'd actually spin MORE! the lower the ratio (higher number) the more TORQUE and hence, more spin at the gate. however, both are great rears for just about anything, 'cept rockcrawling(at least 5.13's) or maybe flat out speed!

I know the Vipers is an 8L
old viper, 8.8 ltr or 488ci, new viper 8.2ltr or around 465ci(not for sure,will check)

not picking on ya mrmagoo!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

of course, JDOGG, you could be totally different and soup up the 3.9! twin turbo's w/ intercoolers ,all the necessary internal's, a decent stall and mod'ed tranny and you'd shake up a few pony cars! all that would (should) fit in your budget!

You are correct, I was thinking the 4.10s for a 4x4, thats what my buddies has in his off road. I do not know much about rear ends. Cept the make the wheels go round, lol.

No he doesn't race. He has 17" offroad tires on it. For some reason Dodge puts 4.10s with their Offroad packages. I guess its cause of the tires and the suppension.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. After talking to some friends, we have all agreed you should get the 360. What exactly do you wish the truck to do? Race, 4x4, or just go fast so you can get lots of tickets? This would help us in ways to give advice.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok. thanks for the help so far. my intentions would be just to go fast, and possibly race some of the people in town who talk so much crap. the 10g is just a guess. im 17 right now, and i probably wont do any mods for at least 6 months to a year. at this time, ive got around 6g:)

Im also still concerned about the kind of mileage i will get. right now, with the POS v6, i only get 11 mpg, and i dont want to get anything much worse than that (im not made of money)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif i want as much power and speed as i can get, but still keep semi-reasonable mileage

i dont want to spend all the money on an engine, rear end, etc. because the interior also needs some work. (id like a new stereo, new carpet, etc.)

Another thing, my truck doesnt have power windows or locks, so what kind of theft deterrant system could i get for it? i have never seriously looked because there is no need where i live, but most of the alarms i have seen require power locks or cost out the ass.

Well, I aint made of money either lol, who is. My new Dodge didn't have PW or PL, I put power locks in it for $30 off eBay, if you want I can give you the guy I bought them from, they are great. When you unlock one side the other opens, no need for switches. I also put an alarm on mine. The alarm was $200. But to have it installed would have been like $600, cause of all the bells and whistles, so I did it myself. Now I know why it costs $600. Took me three days. But yours should have less wires than these new ones.

If you are wanting to get good gas mileage, go with the 360. Definatly get true dual exaust, you get power and MPGs, also get a cold air induction. Anything that makes the engine run more efficient. A good stereo system will cost $2000 or so when you are done with everything lol. If I think of anything else I will let you know. You aren't from the DFW area are ya, lol, that would be cool, cause then I could see everything you do to it. ANyway, have fun.

Originally posted by bootleg Lmao, 4.10's in a 4x4, does he street race it?
and, what pray tell is wrong with 4.10's in a 4x4? they are about the best overall ratio you can get for a 4by, depending on tire size. his buddy having 17" rims and more than likely p285/70-r17 would have close to a 33" tire. when take into consideration the transfer case's ratio, he'd have a crawl ratio of around 70:1. not too shabby for a stocker! check into the 2003 jeep wrangler rubicon(i believe that's what they are calling it), it's coming from the factory with dual dana 44's loaded with 4.10's and a electric locker turning 31" or 33" tires(can't remember which) and all 4 wheeler mags can't wait to get their hands on one!

i guess what i'm saying is that a 4.10 geared truck can (and is) just as effective has a lower geared truck in the right situation and set-up the right way! also you would have to step up to the 3/4 or 1 ton model's to get a lower ratio and even then i'm not sure it get's much lower!

actually, i spent close to $1500 on the stereo i have in it now (3 JL 12w3's, 2 JL 6x9's, Lanzar Vibe 1200d amp, and a pioneer HU), and i was planning on about $2500 for a new one in the future.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.