Suggestions for my truck

Participant count
  • Participant list

rick619

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just got a '23 Ram 1500 and looking to replace the speakers and add an amp. It came with the most basic speaker setup: 6X9 in all four doors, 3.5" in the dash corners. It does have a spot for a center speaker, but nothing in there right now, assuming it won't be necessary?

So I'm thinking components in the front: A 6.5" in the front doors, tweeter in the 3.5" front dash corners. Though would like to know if I should just buy a 6.5" mid for the doors an put something 3.5" in the dash?

Probably a single 8" sub under the back seat. Hoping to do just one amp that can handle everything. For the back seat, thinking a 6.5" coax since that is mostly fill.

I've read I will need an ANC bypass harness and maybe a DSP. I'd like to keep the OEM head unit since I have no complaints about it, and probably be problem to swap in aftermarket, plus kill my budget.

So interested in suggestions. Looking to spend $1000 - $1500 including installation. Options could include skipping the sub at that price and add it later (or not).

Also was thinking of maybe getting the rear 6.5" coax now and run them up front on the OEM power. Then move to the rear when I get the rest.

Music is mostly 80's and 90's rock. Some Jazz and Country mixed in.

My background: Used to be more of an audiophile in the 90's. Had a pretty elaborate system done back in with a Nakamichi amp for the mids and highs. ADS separates, later replaced the front with Polk when the system was moved to another vehicle. Redline 10" subs with Redline amp. Used to run all Alpine HU's.
Now I'm obviously older and have some hearing loss due to cancer and chemo. So can't hear like I used to, but know my current system lacks accuracy and definition.

Front-corner.jpg

Center.jpg

Last edited:
Skip the center altogether.

Rear doors

Up front

6 channel dsp/amp for active fronts and passive/active rear

Box

couple of 10s

Sub amp

Peak your interest yet? At around $1100, still have leftover for wiring kits and sound deadening materials, at or under $1500.

;)

Last edited:
Skip the center altogether.

Rear doors

Up front

6 channel dsp/amp for active fronts and passive/active rear

Box

couple of 10s

Sub amp

Peak your interest yet? At around $1100, still have leftover for wiring kits and sound deadening materials, at or under $1500.

;)

Wow, thanks for the info! I didn't know you could get a amp that has a DSP built in. Save some space and money!

So do you think the 6X9 component for the front would be better than a 6.5" up there?

Probably do either a single 8" or 10" sub, again to save space. I've found even with the OEM 6X9's the bass isn't that bad. Mostly the mids and highs that sound muddy.

Wow, thanks for the info! I didn't know you could get a amp that has a DSP built in. Save some space and money!

So do you think the 6X9 component for the front would be better than a 6.5" up there?

Probably do either a single 8" or 10" sub, again to save space. I've found even with the OEM 6X9's the bass isn't that bad. Mostly the mids and highs that sound muddy.
Absolutely. Bigger cone area, improved bass/midbass, usually. If you have the OEM locations that support it, use it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...