Trouble Shooting Aomic 5K EXPERTS CHIME IN

thorshammer1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Auburn, NY
Alright Gents I need some help.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Took out amp working about a month ago. Put it in the car today and it just goes straight to protect.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Strapped together Master turns on slave protect, switch it around it still goes into protect other works fine.

Wired amp by itself, protect.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

Wire the subs to the amp that turns on works fine. No short there.

No smoke No Smell:crap:

Open it up look at the board no visible signs of being burnt, broke whatever.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Again this amp worked fine when I pulled it//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Did you by chance short it to something while removing it?
Don't remember ever sparking anything. I always take my time and tape off ends when I disconnect stuff.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Don't remember ever sparking anything. I always take my time and tape off ends when I disconnect stuff.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
you wouldnt need to tape stuff off if you disconnected everything from the battery first.

you f*cked something if you didnt.

you wouldnt need to tape stuff off if you disconnected everything from the battery first.

you f*cked something if you didnt.
Good Point:crap: I should try and make things more accesible so I can do that.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I have never gotten a spark from a wire that wasn't hooked up.
I think wire can store small amounts of energy for short periods of time, not really sure how else to explain it.

I dropped a power wire that I had just detatched and when it hit the floor of my car it made a spark and singed a few strands of the wire.

I think wire can store small amounts of energy for short periods of time, not really sure how else to explain it.
I dropped a power wire that I had just detatched and when it hit the floor of my car it made a spark and singed a few strands of the wire.
this true. If you disconnect the wire from the battery then disconnect it from the amp it will still have a small amount of current in it and if grounded it'll spark.

EXCUSE ME?

Are you guys seriously saying that a wire of this length can "hold" enough energy to make a spark?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bsflag.gif.21f42eccd34b7d1eb1608fb1b59b69c3.gif

Good game. If you really need me to explain it, you guys do not even have a high school chemistry level education.

The amp does have 12V input filter capacitors. In order to fully turn an amp off, you disconnect it in this order.

Remove power wire.

Apply 12V/turn the amp on via REM, it should activate for a mS or so, in most it give enough energy to turn the fan from a SMPS pulse or two.

Then remove ground.

This will drain the input filter capacitors, probably the source of the "spark" you guys are talking about.

Go ahead. Make my day.

Edit: Totally forgot to address the topic.

Sounds like your amp is going into protect due to something SMPS related, if not it is in the audio processing/preamp stage. Is there a significant amount of DC when it is turned on? Test this by turning the amp on without a load on the outputs with a DMM hooked to it with any voltage range able to handle 100V or so.

EXCUSE ME?Are you guys seriously saying that a wire of this length can "hold" enough energy to make a spark?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bsflag.gif.21f42eccd34b7d1eb1608fb1b59b69c3.gif

Good game. If you really need me to explain it, you guys do not even have a high school chemistry level education.

The amp does have 12V input filter capacitors. In order to fully turn an amp off, you disconnect it in this order.

Remove power wire.

Apply 12V/turn the amp on via REM, it should activate for a mS or so, in most it give enough energy to turn the fan from a SMPS pulse or two.

Then remove ground.

This will drain the input filter capacitors, probably the source of the "spark" you guys are talking about.

Go ahead. Make my day.
Yes I am saying it is possible and yes I do have a high school level as well as a college level of chemistry education. Am I saying that you are wrong in what you state about electrical components holding current even after unplugged? No because that is true(reason why you want to ground yourself while working on electronics). But from experience I have had a power wire let off a small spark after the amp had been completely removed from the vehicle.

EXCUSE ME?Are you guys seriously saying that a wire of this length can "hold" enough energy to make a spark?

Remove power wire.

Then remove ground.

Go ahead. Make my day.

Edit: Totally forgot to address the topic.

Sounds like your amp is going into protect due to something SMPS related, if not it is in the audio processing/preamp stage. Is there a significant amount of DC when it is turned on? Test this by turning the amp on without a load on the outputs with a DMM hooked to it with any voltage range able to handle 100V or so.

Not doubting your facts, but I got the spark from the end of the wire that plugs into the amp after it had been taken out of the amp. In my case the amp had nothing to do with the spark.

Okay then, explain how a capacitor works. Then explain how it is applied here, in a sparking disconnected wire.

I have been in the electronics field for quite a while, and have ranged from RF transmission work, to multi kW motor controllers, and now entertaining my hobby here. I have never had a sparking disconnected wire. I call BS with my experienced opinion.

Grounding yourself while working on electrical equipment is for static electricity. That is a high voltage low current breakdown. I'm talking about enough energy to excite iron to react with the air(oxygen) around it.

Edit: It could be static from you creating the spark, and puncturing the low breakthrough voltage dielectric commonly used in car audio wires to ground.

Edit 2: Wasn't clear in 1st edit.

Okay then, explain how a capacitor works. Then explain how it is applied here, in a sparking disconnected wire.
I have been in the electronics field for quite a while, and have ranged from RF transmission work, to multi kW motor controllers, and now entertaining my hobby here. I have never had a sparking disconnected wire. I call BS with my experienced opinion.

Grounding yourself while working on electrical equipment is for static electricity. That is a high voltage low current breakdown. I'm talking about enough energy to excite iron to react with the air(oxygen) around it.

Edit: It could be static from you creating the spark, and puncturing the low breakthrough voltage dielectric commonly used in car audio wires to ground.

Edit 2: Wasn't clear in 1st edit.
Static could be a possibility, but it definately wasn't energy being stored in the amps caps because the amp was completely disconnected from this wire.

Edit: Could static really have been enough energy to singe the wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.