Treating a form tube

sangean
10+ year member

NY
Couple questions before I install my form tube for my box's port. I've read they're durable, but some choose to treat them with fiberglass resin.

Can someone explain how to do this? I am assuming you paint the area where the port goes through the baffle on each side. I am planning to make the hole a tiny bit smaller for a snug fit, then sealing with silicon.

Do I add the silicon after I paint the resin?

Thanks

I have used 3 sono port tubes and never did anything to them. I'm sure painting resin over them would stiffen them up quiet a bit though.

I used 5 min epoxy to hold them in.

I have used 3 sono port tubes and never did anything to them. I'm sure painting resin over them would stiffen them up quiet a bit though.

I used 5 min epoxy to hold them in.
I've also used them as round ports without any extra stuff on them, used PL adhesive or liquid nails to seal them into the box.

IF you're going to the trouble to apply resin you may as well wrap some mat around it too. Resin isn't meant to give strength on its own but when fused around the glass or other fiber.

Found an old picture of my two 10" sono tube ports.

IMG_20150328_193120.jpg

Last edited:
Goddang dude that must pound like a *****. I just ordered mine- It's only a single 10". It ***** I couldn't find an 11"- only even numbers.

Do you know anything about dowels for bracing? I glued and screwed in 3 dowels to my baffle before closing the sub box, but they're not perfectly straight? Does this matter?

I was considering unscrewing them, getting a new dowel (one that's perfectly straight) and inserting them through the sub holes, then wedging them into place when the back of the box is attached

My only fear is being able to nail them down with everything to be attached. The dowels are 1.25" and it's hard to get dead center with a drill

Goddang dude that must pound like a *****. I just ordered mine- It's only a single 10". It ***** I couldn't find an 11"- only even numbers.

Do you know anything about dowels for bracing? I glued and screwed in 3 dowels to my baffle before closing the sub box, but they're not perfectly straight? Does this matter?

I was considering unscrewing them, getting a new dowel (one that's perfectly straight) and inserting them through the sub holes, then wedging them into place when the back of the box is attached

My only fear is being able to nail them down with everything to be attached. The dowels are 1.25" and it's hard to get dead center with a drill

I remember my 12" being 11.5" but don't remember what the 10"s were but they aren't exact size.

I would leave the dowels as is. Depending on what wood you used trying to remove them could cause the glue to rip up the wood pretty bad.

I know-they're 1/2 smaller. I've thought about buying a 12 just to see if I could stuff it in my box (port is a little on the small size)

Thanks- I am using MDF. I think they'll be fine once I get the back part on and sand them down to size. It just bugs me they're not perfectly straight

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...