Too Much Power to Subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dultra

I recently purchased a Crescendo BC3500D. I have 2 American Bass XFL 12's rated at 1000rms and 2000 Peak. My plan was to wire them up as shown here https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

But that would mean 3875 watts rms from the amp to both so then i considered running it like this https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

but that would only bring 1150 watts to both subs. Would it be better to underpower them or overpower? Is there another way to wire these guys? I feel like the XFLs can handle way more than 1000 watts rms

Im just iffy about this and seek advice on this matter Thanks Guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't even look at peak power...it's useless. I'd wire your subs to amp to a final 1 ohm load, as I'm currently doing. That mayyyyy be too much power for the subs, to handle, dunno what their actual rms max is, not peak...just turn the gain down a bit. Or set gain to 50.00 on amp, to "control" how much wattage your amp is sending to the subs.

If it was me I'd just make sure the enclosure is designed well with your power in mind... I don't see any reason to "undepower" your subs... let em eat!

Let someone design the enclosure correctly... the importance of a correct enclosure cant be stressed enough. 2 XFL 12's ought to be able to handle a BC 3500D unless you clip em to death or demo it until the coils slag down... I'd just focus on electrical and enclosure to start.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.