Too big ?

Participant count
  • Participants list

5thGenFatboy

CarAudio.com Newbie
NC
Hi all !
New here, this is my first post.
I have sourced an enclosure for my 2019 Ram 1500 crew cab. It’s a fox acoustics box. I also have 2 JL 12” TW3 shallow mount subs.
From what I read the suns require 1.3 cuft each in a vented box. The enclosure is vented and is 3.2cuft.

I’ve gotten different opinions about whether the subs will sound like crap because the enclosure is too big.

Thoughts ?

Attachments

• E9EFA896-F1B0-4AAF-9C47-B70F5A0A1988.jpeg
    E9EFA896-F1B0-4AAF-9C47-B70F5A0A1988.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 116EE5A3-048C-4721-A0A3-7598DAE373D9.jpeg
    116EE5A3-048C-4721-A0A3-7598DAE373D9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
When they say 1.3 cu ft, I've never seen where that's not the minimum. You are 1.6 each, and your subs take up some of that room.

Is that the size that came with the box, or did you figure that out, (and reduce by panel thickness, bracing, sub volume)? If that's the size they told you, that's a great size for those.

When they say 1.3 cu ft, I've never seen where that's not the minimum. You are 1.6 each, and your subs take up some of that room.

Is that the size that came with the box, or did you figure that out, (and reduce by panel thickness, bracing, sub volume)? If that's the size they told you, that's a great size for those.
So I mis typed it… the enclosure is 3.5 and that’s from their website (see pic) I’ve also attached a pic of what the owner of fox acoustic said about it.
71D87071-38EC-4804-81AC-AD5B22CD9B3F.jpeg
F3921D74-4847-4D29-A52D-7E49BCCB4920.jpeg

Run them and see if they meet your expectations or not. No one will know better than the listener to see if it meets the criteria or not .. Right?? What sounds good to me may sound like garbage to you. It may sound to your liking?

Last edited:
WAIT A MINUTE

That's what you are buying? Take a sub with you, and make sure it will fit. Your subs have a larger required opening then what those came with, (you are going to have to trim that ring back). Plus it already has screw mount holes, and yours at the very best, 4 are going to line up, but I think yours might sit farther out.

The airspace will work, but that box might not. Take a sub with you, place it in both holes, and make sure it will fit. If it doesn't fit in the cutout, at least put it in upside down, and make sure it fits with that curve.

If this is something you are going to buy, it will be easier if you have them measure or ask the company what the face mounting diameter maximum is. If it's less than 13.2", your subs won't fit.

Last edited:
WAIT A MINUTE

That's what you are buying? Take a sub with you, and make sure it will fit. Your subs have a larger required opening then what those came with, (you are going to have to trim that ring back). Plus it already has screw mount holes, and yours at the very best, 4 are going to line up, but I think yours might sit farther out.

The airspace will work, but that box might not. Take a sub with you, place it in both holes, and make sure it will fit. If it doesn't fit in the cutout, at least put it in upside down, and make sure it fits with that curve.

If this is something you are going to buy, it will be easier if you have them measure or ask the company what the face mounting diameter maximum is. If it's less than 13.2", your subs won't fit.
So I already had the subs and I bought the box because it was a great deal from someone I knew that was trading his truck in. I asked about the airspace in another forum and had no idea that Joe Fox (the owner of Fox acoustics) was in that group lol… I wanted to find out if the box was too big before I started modifying it so that the subs fit. It won’t be hard to make them work.

Hi all !
New here, this is my first post.
I have sourced an enclosure for my 2019 Ram 1500 crew cab. It’s a fox acoustics box. I also have 2 JL 12” TW3 shallow mount subs.
From what I read the suns require 1.3 cuft each in a vented box. The enclosure is vented and is 3.2cuft.

I’ve gotten different opinions about whether the subs will sound like crap because the enclosure is too big.

Thoughts ?
By the way... Welcome to the site. Lots of information to check out on here. Majority of questions can be answered as well. We all learn from each other. Old and new things man.

View attachment 47425
If that is less than 13.2", your subs won't work in this box.
He can modify with a some ABS sheets and cut a new hole without any issues if they are larger than the speaker pretty cheap or even 3/8-1/2" MDF or Plywood even. Maybe even 1/4". Its not Rocket Science. If they were down fire I would do ABS and cut another hole and seal with silicone and screws

A small sheet of Plywood or MDF, some screws,silicone and some masking tape/tape and Black rustolium paint and should be just fine if you need to modify the openings with a Jig saw and your time. Use cardboard to cut out for a templet to transfer to the wood being cut. Use Masking tape or painters tape to place on the wood out skirts of the cutting area to make a clean cut where marked works well and cheap.

My replies say they are under review, so I’m trying it here

@HardofWhoring
So I already had the subs and I bought the box because it was a great deal from someone I knew that was trading his truck in. I asked about the airspace in another forum and had no idea that Joe Fox (the owner of Fox acoustics) was in that group lol… I wanted to find out if the box was too big before I started modifying it so that the subs fit. It won’t be hard to make them work.

@audiobaun
Yes I intend to carefully make this combo work.
1 because I hate selling things on marketplace lol and 2 because I refuse to let this beat me 🤣

A small sheet of Plywood or MDF, some screws,silicone and some masking tape/tape and Black rustolium paint and should be just fine if you need to modify the openings with a Jig saw and your time. Use cardboard to cut out for a templet to transfer to the wood being cut. Use Masking tape or painters tape to place on the wood out skirts of the cutting area to make a clean cut where marked works well and cheap.
THAT'S NONSENSE. Go back to post #1. Read it, and then
1. Don't assume the OP has that skill. If they did, they would have just made their own box.
2. What I posted is something the OP should know, and should want to know before buying the box.

Last edited:
subs will sound like crap because the enclosure is too big.
Box size is very important in subwoofer performance. Not only that, the box port area may be too big and cause your subs to go beyond their mechanical limit. Those subs were originally designed for sealed enclosures, so I suggest plugging the port and feel them out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...