time to think of some midrange/bass

pwnt by pat
10+ year member

Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!
Pa
Well, I've found a set of used horns and x-overs for the horns that I'm going to grab. Now I need to start thinking of some midbass/range. Origionally, I thought that I would just get something to replace the stock 5 1/4 speakers in my doors. I could cut the holes bigger but I want to keep all the stock equipment so if I decide to sell the car, I can keep my precious audio equipment.

Then I got to thinking, 'It'd be cool to make kicks. I could do some koda 6's or xxx midbass there.' Now I'm thinking, 'midbass, check, high/mid, check - midrange?' I'm not sure if I should get some midrange to complete the whole thing.

I have a four channel amp and I'd only be using two channels. I can wire it up so the amps's rca-out feed the other two channels rca in's. That's no problem.

I was thinking maybe Adire's AV5. There aren't a lot of quality 5 1/4's that I've seen that are any good. Also, the AV5's are cheap. I'm not sure if it can run IB though. If I got a midrange, too, it'd have to take 100rms. Anything less wouldn't be able to keep up with the horns.

Also, I'll have no tweets in the stock location. Maybe I should look at some comp sets for the tweet? I thought that I'd just ignore it and let the horn's do their job! Coax I guess I could use, I'd just remove the tweet. Maybe Kicker R5c's?

I don't know. Price? 125'ish max for the pair. Other req's: 5.25", 100rms, wireable to 2ohm or custom ordered wired for 2. Grill? If it comes with one, that's cool. If not, oh well. I don't need a grill.

thoughts?

Thanks

that was a very long story and i think you are high.

or maybe iam high //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

thoughts?
Forget about the midrange idea. Kinda defeats the purpose of the horns when you start adding all these extra drivers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Horns and midbass; that's it. Leave it at that. Then subs obviously....but don't worry about getting a dedicated midrange.

Kind of a little revive here. I don't want to start a new thread as it's on the same idea...

Midbass I've narrowed down to:

Koda 6.5"

RE XXX mids

maybe an 8' woofer - don't know if I have the room for 'em in kicks

Either pair are going in my first attempt at fiberglassing: a pair of kicks. I could mod the doors but I want to leave the car as stock as possible, in case I sell it later, which would involve not cutting anything out.

Besides price, what's the major difference between these? I'm sure I could get either of them ordered for 2-ohm application. Oh, they'll be fed 100w rms.

what horns are they? cd-1 e? the best speakers i found to go with those are avi. if your factory location permits an avi 5.25" mid bass works great. they have huge magnets though. i ran this in my tempo and i was fairly happy with it, but it was nowhere near my firebird but i had alot better stuff for that all the way around. http://www.avisound.com/ BSM-130 Mid Bass

the kick panel would be best but if you are looking for an "easier and less time consuming" alternitive this i know will work

Besides price, what's the major difference between these? I'm sure I could get either of them ordered for 2-ohm application. Oh, they'll be fed 100w rms.

Major difference? The XXX mids of a TON more displacement, and I'd guess less distortion aswell. Plus, I highly doubt you could get a 2ohm coil for the Koda.

Audiolife, your firebird in your sig?

The BSM-130 Mid Bass sounds nice I guess. The fact that they are 5 1/4 is nice but would they really be able to keep up with the cd-1e's and be manufacturered in 2ohm?

they were in my tempo cd1-e with the image dynamics x over and the avi 130's powered by a audio art 100 hc. my firebird isnt mine anymore nor is it the same...its rather largeish now lol when i had it it had cd-3 ultra horns vifa then id 8" s with image dynamics idw 15. the amps were soundstream 2 3.0's and a 6.0. the deck was a pioneer premier dexm88? and it had 2 audio control eqt's and an image idx 24. now the firebirde has a waterfall amp rack holding 12 memphis audio mc-300's, 8 memphis 12" subs and 5 memphis 8" point syncs

i just started on some custom glass door pods for a set of speaks in my 81 cutlass---going nice and smooth---looks like it's gonna be pretty nice looking when i'm done. if thats the route you decide to go let me know if you got any questions. i was gonna put 6 inch jl subs in there but i think they are just a little too heavy for the door panel and may start to sag after long.

fare against? fared pretty well with lol. the cd-1es arent as hot not even close volume wise as a cd-2 or cd-3. with the cd-1e they were real solid, again there is better but not much. if you ever messed with horns ud understand better what im saying but if this is your first set you'll start hatein regular speakers as you learn to tweek these.youll be real quick to discover HOW MUCH regular speakers miss out on the whole music. if you dont tweek and you just leave it as a half arsed finished you'll never see what a horn can do. if they dont sound REALLY solid on initial installation knock 1 out of phase.

get that fiberglass over 1/8 inch in thickness after they dry for a couple days you should be able to stand on them . when i had my shop i had a guy that said they would fall off to then i stood on them and jumped lol didnt even creek.

K I'll look into them AVI's.

I kind of like the fact that they should mount in the stock holes and if I'm not happy, then I'll build kicks.

There's like no places on line that sells these? froogle = 0, google = very few results. Wanna sell me yours? heh

mine were generation 2 they are up to generation 5 lol mine have been gone awhile. to let you know the smarts of some of these dumb arses they were bought from me then traded for audiobahn 2 way aluminum components and a 12 inch audiobahn chrome thing lol. only retailer i know of left is http://www.speakercity.ca/ so you gotta see if they ship to the states and i doubt you get a great "deal" on them but they are schweeeeeeeeet

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.