Midrange imaging

Participant count
  • Participant list

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
I am temporarily using some 2 inch utility drivers and moving them around to see where I like the sound best. For now I’m just running the full range drivers from 500-20,000 HZ with CDT 6x9 midbass in the door handling 500 and down. The permanent setup will be a 3 inch midrange and a planar tweeter after I choose a location. What location and angle worked best for you in a 3 way front stage? The location here on the dash with a slight upward angle seems best, as far as on the dash location goes. I can also Velcro them to the doors and test there also.
964724BE-AA69-4A0F-8AE3-25CF3ADC8700.jpeg
977CE61E-5C89-4F9E-B38C-397D8777FC70.jpeg

Kris cross the drivers and try that aim passenger side towards drivers head and driver side towards passenger ...see if you can hear any improvements ...also try aiming both towards center vehicle above console head level ..we use to use laser lights sorta like a gun bore sight to check on the direction and where the drivers center ..i use tk have one that had a little magnet attached i could stick on the grills ..i think it came from a bore sight set ...but i believe someone liked it better tgan me cause it disappeared a few years ago ...

I know, generally speaking, that doing what you’re doing will give you some semblance of what the end result “should” be. That said, driver types, dispersion patterns, cone materials, all contribute to the staging, especially in a 3 way running mids and tweets. I would just get the 3 ways that you’re going to use and do temp mounts to figure this out, no other way to know really. Using completely different drivers to "test" will affect the overall staging quite a bit, as will volume relative to each driver, driver dispersion patterns and driver interaction all come into play. Most often, you will see the midbass drivers in the mid to lower door, the mid in mid front to upper front of the door and the tweeters at the top of the door or in the a pillar, preferably. In the OEM dash area facing up is also an option but not my cup of tea as they tend to beam off the windshield. Ideally, you want all the drivers to be as close as possible to each other in a vertical array, especially the mids and tweets. I would put the midrange high in the door and the tweeters in the a pillar if that can be done. Again, get the drivers and do a temp configuration first, try them out, place them until you hear what you like, them figure out how to get them mounted. Any other way is going to be a glorified roll of the dice! ;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...