Thoughts on the MTX Audio THUNDER75.4 Amp or Focal AP 4340 amp

Hi - I'm new to all this and need a 4 channel Class AB amp priced under $200. I would appreciate any thoughts on these 2 amps. I am running the Polk DB6502 and Polk Audio DB651 speakers .TIA

Bob
i've never loved mtx amps i'm sure others have.. how many watts u want to mids? don't buy anything until u have a chance to look at what peeps here show u.. several sites have sales now too.. 1st start at ssa.com look at us acoustics, sundown, soundqubed amps on sale at gp car audio they are good members here give stuff away all the time.. SSA Store - US Acoustics Barbara Ann 4 channel amplifier

MTX nowadays is meh...not their best. They were at their hieght when the squareish black/red MTX red label amps which were good, then came the shiny chrome/black amps, such as the 81000D, then the 1501 amp. Thereafter just plain junk imo.....they joined the mainstream bandwagon and quality went south.

If I were you, I would snag a PPI 900.4 amp. Lots of people run them and like them.

Thanks for the replies - I'll look into the suggestions - PLEASE keep them coming !!

I can only use a Class AB amp in my car. I have a Polk Audio PA D4000.4 which I am very happy with but because it is a Class D amp it blocks out any radio reception I could be getting. I spoke with Polk about this problem and they said that my fibreglas car has a poor ground and the high frequencies generated by CLass D amps can cause this problem . Since they don't make a Class AB amp - they recommended the Focal amp. We installed a friends Class AB amp and the radio reception was perfect. Hope this clarifies why I need a Class AB - I'm not real knowledgeable about all this so this is all I can tell you about my needs.

The black ice series from ppi are great if you can find one. The bk, not ba ones....

A bk540.4 would be perfect.

Otherwise either one u chose should work fine

I was going to say Orion XTR 1000.4 but I think they’re class D unless someone can correct me. If it’s not D they can be had for $220 and puts out 165x4.

An amp that blocks out radio reception? Now that's something I haven't heard before.
actually it's a thing with some sound streams and polk has ss copies so makes since.. i had concept 1200 did it 12 yrs ago with this car we switched amp it stopped..

An amp that blocks out radio reception? Now that's something I haven't heard before.
My installer went thru numerous potential fixes to get the radio reception to come in and nothing helped so we decided to call Polk to see if they could help. The techs there were great and said that this problem isn't a new one. Once we threw my friends Class AB amp in the car the radio worked perfectly. The Polk tech was great - he even went on Crutchfield and suggested that Focal amp for me. I'm not familiar with that brand and that's why I thought I'd reach out here to get some help on what to buy. TIA, Bob

My installer went thru numerous potential fixes to get the radio reception to come in and nothing helped so we decided to call Polk to see if they could help. The techs there were great and said that this problem isn't a new one. Once we threw my friends Class AB amp in the car the radio worked perfectly. The Polk tech was great - he even went on Crutchfield and suggested that Focal amp for me. I'm not familiar with that brand and that's why I thought I'd reach out here to get some help on what to buy. TIA, Bob
Ive heard of it happening before but it’s normally fixed by moving the amp away from the antenna.

As for focal. They are one of the top brands but overpriced unless you order them from Europe. They are stupid markup here.

lol...most antennas are mounted on the hood of vehicle or top of, near the edge. Can't imagine an issue if the amp was mounted in the trunk or under rear seats.

Thanks for the replies - I'll look into the suggestions - PLEASE keep them coming !!
I can only use a Class AB amp in my car. I have a Polk Audio PA D4000.4 which I am very happy with but because it is a Class D amp it blocks out any radio reception I could be getting. I spoke with Polk about this problem and they said that my fibreglas car has a poor ground and the high frequencies generated by CLass D amps can cause this problem . Since they don't make a Class AB amp - they recommended the Focal amp. We installed a friends Class AB amp and the radio reception was perfect. Hope this clarifies why I need a Class AB - I'm not real knowledgeable about all this so this is all I can tell you about my needs.
run a dedicated ground.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.