Thoughts on Box Rise and Minimum Impedence of an Amplifier

bigblank69
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Eureka, MO
Ok, curious on what your opinions on box rise and minimum impedance of an amp. I'm redoing my audio system of my boat, and I THOUGHT I had bought a Dual 4 ohm Gen 1 FU750, and apparently that's not the case as I measured it as a Dual 2 ohm today on my new Multi. Normally not a problem, but I bought a Kicker KXM1200 to run it off when I thought it was a dual 4, and that amp is 2 ohm stable.

I have had this set up running together before in my bench test area, and the minimum impedance I ever got down with the box rise was 1.8ohms. I'm thinking I'm going to be ok running this, as I had this this set up running before (Granted for short periods of time, and never got overly warm).

Anyone have any differing opinions?

Ok, curious on what your opinions on box rise and minimum impedance of an amp. I'm redoing my audio system of my boat, and I THOUGHT I had bought a Dual 4 ohm Gen 1 FU750, and apparently that's not the case as I measured it as a Dual 2 ohm today on my new Multi. Normally not a problem, but I bought a Kicker KXM1200 to run it off when I thought it was a dual 4, and that amp is 2 ohm stable.
I have had this set up running together before in my bench test area, and the minimum impedance I ever got down with the box rise was 1.8ohms. I'm thinking I'm going to be ok running this, as I had this this set up running before (Granted for short periods of time, and never got overly warm).

Anyone have any differing opinions?
trade u my ppi for your kicker we'll both have correct ohm and power then...

I was specifically talking about all marine amps, not just that one. That one retailed for 800, he bought it for either 150 or 200....don't recall which.
I paid $199

I bought a pair of the 2 channel marines for $150 each

My preference is to keep the amp... But If I can't use the FU's my whole plan gets F'd up...

I paid $199
I bought a pair of the 2 channel marines for $150 each

My preference is to keep the amp... But If I can't use the FU's my whole plan gets F'd up...
Am I smoking crack? Swear I saw somewhere in one of your vids that the amp retailed for 800...?

I ran the old KX series at 1 ohm and they protected here and there but didn't blow up. That said what you're doing is not safe or Kicker would rate them to 1 ohm. If you can't afford to blow up that amp stick to 4 ohm until you can come up with another plan.

I ran the old KX series at 1 ohm and they protected here and there but didn't blow up. That said what you're doing is not safe or Kicker would rate them to 1 ohm. If you can't afford to blow up that amp stick to 4 ohm until you can come up with another plan.
I know... This just blows up my whole plan... I knew something was up before when I dyno'd on the sub and was reading 1.8..but I thought it was just a drop to the right freq... Half tempted to just recone this one with a dual 4 vc... Damnit

Marine rated amps over 1k are few and far between, and even fewer are 1ohm rated...

What kind of boat? And where are the amps being mounted? I have been using car amps on boats for years. Got a old free logic POS amp in my uncle's boat for the past 8 years.

While I understand wanting a marine amp, just wanted to know the details

I know... This just blows up my whole plan... I knew something was up before when I dyno'd on the sub and was reading 1.8..but I thought it was just a drop to the right freq... Half tempted to just recone this one with a dual 4 vc... Damnit
Marine rated amps over 1k are few and far between, and even fewer are 1ohm rated...

Can you add a second sub or swap the sub with someone on here? I hate tearing down perfectly good woofers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.