Thought process system building

* NEW * CAB-1600.1 Amplifier - Car Audio Bargain
NEW MASSIVE AUDIO NX5 NANO BLOCK 5-CHANNEL CAR AMPLIFIER AMP FIVE NX-5 CAR AMP | eBay

I would not recommend buying from Stereo Needs (long story which leads to fraud).

I have owned the NX5...it's a pretty powerful amp in a small package.
I flat out would not recommend buying an nx5 period. My personal experience with them has been both good and bad. Out of the 5 I have installed, 3 have ran well and 2 have ran extremely hot to the point of thermal protection within 10 minutes of play time. You just never know if your getting a good one or a bad one which is a shame, because the ones that ran well, ran very well. Just not worth the gamble in my opinion.

I flat out would not recommend buying an nx5 period. My personal experience with them has been both good and bad. Out of the 5 I have installed, 3 have ran well and 2 have ran extremely hot to the point of thermal protection within 10 minutes of play time. You just never know if your getting a good one or a bad one which is a shame, because the ones that ran well, ran very well. Just not worth the gamble in my opinion.
Interesting. I ran mine and it was enclosed and never got hot...but warm. I even have it's little brother, NX3 which is the 3 ch version I plan to install in my s10 this summer.

Those that ran hot, the thought of running a fan or 2 across them didn't come to mind?

Like I said, 3 of them ran beautifuly........warm, but nothing more than that. The other 2, hot, and I mean touch it with the back side of your hand and it gets your attention immediately hot. All within 10 minutes time. As far as a fan on it, if I'm running something well within its operating limits I shouldn't have to put a fan on it.

Think your the 2nd person that has owned one or more that got hot on them. Makes me wonder now if it has to do with how they're made.

I'll have to wait and see if my nx3 heats up too.

All those components crammed inside the heatsink tho....if you've ever opened it up....absolutely no breathing room. Kinda weird some got hot others didn't.

What is better to buy first while you're saving for the system, subs or amp?

Also what amp would you get to power 2 CAB Ultra 12" subs, CAB 1600.1 or Massive Audio NX5 Nano Block Series 5-Channel Car Amplifier?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is better to buy first while you're saving for the system, subs or amp?Also what amp would you get to power 2 CAB Ultra 12" subs, CAB 1600.1 or Massive Audio NX5 Nano Block Series 5-Channel Car Amplifier?

DO NOT put those subs in a pre-built box. They need to be in a custom designed and built ported box to even perform right. if you are good with woodworking then get a design. If not, still get a design and have home depot cut to wood, take it home and glue, screw in some screws and borrow a neighbor's jigsaw and cut the holes. viola you are done. You will get absolute garbage results if buying premade boxes, you have been warned.

You will need to upgrade electricals as well because you'll need around 2500 to 3000 watts rms to fully take advantage of what the CAB ultra can really do. Unless you have a lot of space for a super efficient enclosure.

DO NOT put those subs in a pre-built box. They need to be in a custom designed and built ported box to even perform right. if you are good with woodworking then get a design. If not, still get a design and have home depot cut to wood, take it home and glue, screw in some screws and borrow a neighbor's jigsaw and cut the holes. viola you are done. You will get absolute garbage results if buying premade boxes, you have been warned.
You will need to upgrade electricals as well because you'll need around 2500 to 3000 watts rms to fully take advantage of what the CAB ultra can really do. Unless you have a lot of space for a super efficient enclosure.
I have a friend who builds custom boxes, so I was gonna go through him.

I am so lost in the car audio world these days after being away from it for nearly 10 years. Which of those amps would you choose for the best price? I'm looking to spend between $400-$600 for subs and amp as Boomin' Tahoe was suggesting

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read on a few different threads that the CAB Ultra 12"s are an older model of Sundown. If so then what is a comparable Sundown 12" to get especially price wise and would the CAB 1600.1 amp be enough to push the 2 12" Sundown subs? Or would getting 2 12" CAB Ultras be safe? Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.