Thinking about Cone area, power handling, and motor force.

Because of power compression, all other factors being equal (cone area/excursion, enclosure alignment, etc) the system utilizing more voice coils will have more output potential. That is mostly a factor for SPL guys trying to squeeze every tenth out of their system they can.

Its not that easy. Otherwise the loudest cars would have 24 drivers. Lol
I guess you missed where I said "all other factors being equal". Two drivers running 500 watts, versus the exact same driver but twice the cone area running 1000 watts, the twin motor setup will dissipate more heat and thus suffer less power compression. What Im saying is not even controversial, I find it interesting you seem to want to argue.

I remember when there were 2 juggernauts competing in SPL... each had a very different approach ... multiple drivers/power vs efficiency... seeing these results as a competitor in the late 90's was unreal at the time... there were other competitors out there... but these two approached the problem with totally different solutions...
Old School SPL Competition Vehicles

Team Gates' Ford Bronco Beast to Retire
I got a chance to have a listening session in the Gates Bronco way back in its original configuration with the 10" PPI Pro's (64 iirc). It was quite a rig and Alma was extremely nice.

I guess you missed where I said "all other factors being equal". Two drivers running 500 watts, versus the exact same driver but twice the cone area running 1000 watts, the twin motor setup will dissipate more heat and thus suffer less power compression. What Im saying is not even controversial, I find it interesting you seem to want to argue.

I got a chance to have a listening session in the Gates Bronco way back in its original configuration with the 10" PPI Pro's (64 iirc). It was quite a rig and Alma was extremely nice.
I live in AZ and never got the chance... I demoed Earl Z's Bmw once... although when I describe the listening experience it brings out the haters so I'll digress...

Milbert Vacuum Tube Car Amplifiers

That car was a legend...

efficiency

small size

bandwidth

you can only have 2 of the 3 in an enclosure. If you want efficiency you either need a narrow bandwidth or large enclosure.

if you choose large enclosure you can only fit so many woofers.

i like this example of "small cone area"

2 18" apxx and iirc just under 30kw

he was peaking around 45hz at one point and 174ish

Those "extreme" vehicles can be nuts nowadays... 160 was KILLER when I competed in the 90's... wow, only 2 18's too... that's crazy...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

I live in AZ and never got the chance... I demoed Earl Z's Bmw once... although when I describe the listening experience it brings out the haters so I'll digress...
Milbert Vacuum Tube Car Amplifiers

That car was a legend...
Earl's BMW first caught my attention when he (had) installed the motorized tweeter elevators in the dash. Which would adjust their angle depending on if there was a passenger in the car or just the driver. IIRC, he spent $45k on that one feature alone.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
I ended up with 1 18 right now. Still stiff as morning wood, but its louder than the 12 I had on less power (1500 watt amp but at 2 ohms instead of one) once break in is done ill worry about getting more power.

I ended up with 1 18 right now. Still stiff as morning wood, but its louder than the 12 I had on less power (1500 watt amp but at 2 ohms instead of one) once break in is done ill worry about getting more power.
You bought an 18? Do tell...

Any well designed driver accounts for power compression and can dissipate the heat. Hence they do a 181 with one driver when they added another and cut power is have they only gained 1.5..

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Imo and results proven. For pure SPL, one note wonders. Less drivers the better simply because you are aiming for a small spot on the dash.

Less phase issues with less drivers.
Partically correct..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.