Thermo-switch install for cooling fans.

Radioflyer97
10+ year member

C.E.O.
Those of you who hang out here often may know of my search for a thermo-switch to control my amp's cooling fans.

I'm using 4 of these fans:

http://www.xoxide.com/ther60casfan.html

They have a max capacity of 21 CFM and I originally had them setup to run at max power (tapped off the turn on lead) While the fans are quite effective, they're also rather loud easily heard over the rumble of my borlas.

Here's the fan controller I finally found. It's the only one of it's kind I've been able to locate and it's an in-line unit requiring no ground.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-Adjustable-Fan-Controller-Cooling-Amp-Rack-SFC_W0QQitemZ170150163117QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My solution was relatively simple costing a total of $30.

- $25 for thermal switch

- $5 for voltage regulator (5v)

- various terminals (found in the garage)

- various light gauge wire (also found in garage)

The plan was to have a constant supply of 5v to the fans causing them to run at 40%. They still move a fair amount of air but are significantly quieter. I hooked up the thermal switch in parallel with the voltage regulator. When the thermo switch is tripped, the fans go to 100%. Once the amps are cool, the fans return to 40%.

Here's a pic:

fancontroller.jpg

The installation was rather easy except for the fact that the amp rack is in a confined space and working requires sitting in the cargo area. (after which i had to re-learn how to walk)

Notes: The install was a complete success. The thermo-switch works like a charm and so does the voltage regulator. I recommend this setup to anyone with a fan-cooled amp rack.

Awesome. I was going to bump the other thread to ask how it worked out. I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I build my new amp rack, since it'll be totally enclosed.

So does that switch actually need the 5v as well as the 12v? I guess so, since you're using the 7805. BTW, does that 7805 get hot without a heat sink?

Awesome. I was going to bump the other thread to ask how it worked out. I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I build my new amp rack, since it'll be totally enclosed.
So does that switch actually need the 5v as well as the 12v? I guess so, since you're using the 7805. BTW, does that 7805 get hot without a heat sink?
It doesn't need the 5v, that's just to get the fans to come on at 40% whenever the system is on. It does get a little hot so I cut the power to it until i get it mounted on somthing other than carpet. The thermo switch does not require a 5v regulator. In this setup it's purely off or on.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing, and ran across your post. I'm a little confused, why is the 5V voltage regulator needed? As you point out the thermo switch works without one....but I guess it would just either be on or off. Do you use the regulator to allow them to be ALWAYS ON at the 5V level, and then the switch kicks them up to 12v? If so, how do you wire this and what is the 5V regulator component to buy?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.