There has to be math...

Participant count
  • Participant list

geonfreaq
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
To figure out how much wattage you can run on a stock alt before needeing to upgrade.

I have a 140amp alt in my truck so I could use ____ watts before needing to upgrade.

This civic has a 90 amp alt and can use ____ watts before needing to upgrade.

Is there a formula to figure this out? I know ofcourse that alot will depend on how many batteries the stock alt is trying to charge.

Ive been seeing alot of threads about this and thought if there was a formula it could get stickied.

Jason

10 amps = 100 watts. Remember you need some of the amps going to normal car use.
Really? See this is what I was looking for.

So with a 90a alt. and a 1000w amp you should already be doing upgrades?

Thanks man.

Majority of alts are in the 90-110A range and I wouldn't run more than 1kw on that. If your stock alt is a little bigger you may be able to get away with more but overkill beats a dead alt anyday.

Majority of alts are in the 90-110A range and I wouldn't run more than 1kw on that. If your stock alt is a little bigger you may be able to get away with more but overkill beats a dead alt anyday.
Agreed.

What really got me thinking about this was while searching the forums. I have a 140a alt in my truck stock and have not done the big 3. Im running a 1500w amp for my sub and have no issues with dimming or anything even with the radio up and a/c on. I will be adding a 400w amp but only using 200w out of it this weekend and just making sure Ill get the most I can out of my system. Im already thinking about adding a battery here once summer is over.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.