How to wire 2 amps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

moval0890
10+ year member

So I currently have 4awg and 6awg kits in my possession from previous installs. I don't have any experience with distributor blocks or necessarily choosing gauge sizes in general, but now that I want 2 amps in my car I though I'd try to get some insight on it.

My 4 channel is running 200rms @ 4ohms and my monoblock is running 500rms @ 4ohms. Would running a 4awg power wire to the d block(which would be in my trunk area) and then having using my 6 awg for the output to the amps be strong enough for both(mostly the monoblock)?

run the 4g to the sub amp since it's drawing more amps and the 6g to the highs since they have a much lower current draw so in the end you should have 2 runs of wire one for each amp I would not try to run both amps off one run of 4g.

so your suggesting just not using the d block and just separately run them? Because I currently have my 6awg connected to my 4 channel anyways, so it wouldn't be much extra work putting the 4awg kit for the sub.

What about the ground, should I distribute that?

Buy some 1/0 awg, 4 awg, an anl fuse holder and a distro block.

- 1/0 awg from batt + to anl fuse holder

- 1/0 awg from anl fuse holder to distribution block

- 4 awg from distribution block to amps

- 4 awg ground from amps to vehicle chassis (both amps can share the same ground)

Alright, well would a 2awg power wire work good, or does it need to be 1/0awg? Also, since my amps will be sharing a ground, do I need a D Block or just do them both on the same location?

Alright, well would a 2awg power wire work good, or does it need to be 1/0awg? Also, since my amps will be sharing a ground, do I need a D Block or just do them both on the same location?
2 awg wiring will do fine. I just figured upgrading from the 4 & 6 gauge you currently have will be necessary should you ever decide to buy more powerful amplifiers. Having the larger wire in place now is not a bad thing.

You'll want to use a distribution block between the anl fuse holder and the amps, but you don't need one for grounds. Just run 4 awg from the ground terminals on both amps to a spot on the vehicle's chassis. Secure the ground wiring with ring terminals and a bolt...

Ground them to the same spot and 2g will be fine for both amps together but you will need a distro block for the+, I thought you where just trying to work with what you got but if you can get new wire go for it nothin like workin with new stuff instead of the same old same old

Okay, I'll probably stick to the 2awg only because I don't see my self upgrading at all. How much can a 4awg wire handle compared to a 2awg(for roughly 15')

I'm hoping to go to a local stereo shop to pick up wire, d block, and fuse holders. Run the 2awg to the d block and 4awg/6awg output with my old wiring.

Do the fuse holders that are connected to like the d block and the car battery area, do they already have fuses inside or how does that work, and also what's the difference between those and getting circuit breakers instead??

Also, what's the rule for wiring as far as RCAs, speaker wire, and power wires? Should I be running certain ones on one side of the car and something else on the other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.