The worlds longest car audio install is nearly finsihed but.......

Participant count
  • Participant list

neil4374

Senior VIP Member
I am about done with the car audio install. (The world’s longest)

I am having a few problems.

A while back when I first got everything connected, the sub sounded just great.(Even though I hadn’t tuned the lpf) (The details of the sub and amp are down below. I know they’re not classed as awesome but its what I could afford and to be honest it sounded pretty good to me.

After hiding all the wires I have noticed the sub sounds quiet and not so good.

To get the bass to sound(or feel) noticeable I would have to crank the gain at 75% or more and add on the amps bass boost.. Before it sounded great at 50% gain.

I also noticed when I unplug the remote bass volume (which leads from the amp to me at the front of the car) it gets louder. Plug it back in and it goes quieter.

I have checked everything and the only thing I can think off is a bad ground.

Please take a look at the connection I did. Does it look in a suitable place? See photo below and cringe at my connection) That comes with having cheap ****** tools.

View attachment 26556787

I heard the best place to connect a ground is on the negative battery terminal?

I also seem confused with test tones. I played a 100 hz test tone through the front midrange/ mid bass speakers and I could hear it well. But when I adjusted the hpf the tone didn’t drop of and change. Surely if I set the hpf at a higher frequency (say 120) I shouldn’t have heard it?

If anybody can shed any light on where I am going wrong, it would be most appreciated.

Amp - https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rxh-f5/

Sub - https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rmw8p/

Head unit JVC (KW-R710)

Front components- https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rvl6kit/

Rear coaxials-some 50 dollar ****(Rear fill)

A 5 ch amp. Ok I have dealt with and installed a few 5 ch amps before with no issues. The 1st thing you wanna do is leave the bass boost alone on the amp. Reason being is it can lead to clipping to your speakers/subs and cause more damage than good.

That ground looks to be a seat belt ground? Isn't the best grounding point but can see it's metal to metal. Maybe try scraping off the primer or paint on both surfaces, that can make better contact with one another and see if that helps. Grounding points are usually done to the chassis/frame of the vehicle. Some people ground to the neg battery.

How did you set the gains on the amp?

They say the battery is the best spot to ground, but they also say that your ground shouldn't be more than like 18" or whatever. What gives? I feel like most people don't have a battery in their trunk.

A 5 ch amp. Ok I have dealt with and installed a few 5 ch amps before with no issues. The 1st thing you wanna do is leave the bass boost alone on the amp. Reason being is it can lead to clipping to your speakers/subs and cause more damage than good.
That ground looks to be a seat belt ground? Isn't the best grounding point but can see it's metal to metal. Maybe try scraping off the primer or paint on both surfaces, that can make better contact with one another and see if that helps. Grounding points are usually done to the chassis/frame of the vehicle. Some people ground to the neg battery.

How did you set the gains on the amp?
The gains were set at aout 50% while I was bedding in the speakers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.