The Official Type R Thread

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Im going to build a box for 2 12" Type R's. I want to go for a more SPL box, tuned to about 35-37Hz. How big should I give them....is 3 each to big?? or is that ok if im going to have a lot of port. Also how big should I make the port??

Do any of you know how to find the resonant frequency of your vehicle.??

IMPORTANT QUESTION  

Im going to build a box for 2 12" Type R's. I want to go for a more SPL box, tuned to about 35-37Hz. How big should I give them....is 3 each to big?? or is that ok if im going to have a lot of port. Also how big should I make the port??

Do any of you know how to find the resonant frequency of your vehicle.??
i'd say more like 2-2.5 cubes per sub.

To find the resonant frequency, you'll need a sealed box and a SPL meter.

Play test tones 10-70 hz, keeping the volume the same (not loud, just enough to put up a number). Keep track of the score for EACH frequency.

Now take that box out of the car and meter it in an open (but not windy) environment such as a garage. Place the meter a foot or so away from the sub (keep this distance consistent). Play the 10-70 hz test tones again, marking down each score for each frequency.

Now, take the differene between each score (in car and in the open) for each test tone. For instance the score for 40 hz in the car minus the score for 40 hz in the open.

The biggest difference between the scores is your resonant frequency.

This is the way i have been taught.

ok, so for the box, you say 2-2.5...how much port do you think I should have...actually id probably tune to 35Hz. Thats about where my current setup was at. It sounded good,,,,nice and low, but it just didnt more air like it should have.

ok, so for the box, you say 2-2.5...how much port do you think I should have...actually id probably tune to 35Hz. Thats about where my current setup was at. It sounded good,,,,nice and low, but it just didnt more air like it should have.
25-30 sq. in. per sub.

what would knock harder:

(the 05 model) 4 10" alpine type r's with 400 watts rms into each (sealed box)

or (also 05 model) 2 15" type r's with 800watts rms into each sealed???

i have a directed 1100d is that a good amp to run 2 type r's on??? or should i get something bigger?? if its ok how should i wire it??
thanks

Zach
if the amp is stable to 1 ohm, you should get two 10" r's with the dual 4 ohm coils

wire all the vc's together to make a 1 ohm load!!!!

oo sorry forgot to mention they are 12's
should i get a different amp then???

if so what??

thanks

Zach
whats the specs on the amp at 1 ohm??? I think 700 watts rms per 12" is enough

a JL 500/1 into a 10" is plenty

Maybe look into those brutus 1500's that can be had for like $200 or so?????

I have my 2 Type R 12"s in a 3 ft^3 ported box and they thump pretty **** hard, if that helps anybody. I went to the best sound guys in the city and had it custom built, so i assume its the ideal size, at least for a civic coupe. Dont forget when you build your box that your losing 0.128 ft^3 of volume for each 12" type R, so if you add up your total inner displacement of the box, you need to add another 0.128 ft^3 to get the desired displacement. For example, if you want a 2.0 ft^3 box with 1 type r 12, the inner demensions should add up to 2.128 ft^3 of displacement. Not saying anyone didnt know that already, but just in case you didnt.

which would be better 2 type r's as 1500w each with a 1900w amp? or one 15 type r at 2000w with a 1900w amp? and what box would be good sealed or ported? im not looking for quailty just the punch in the chest bass

Well, I myself would go with the 2 12's, but i listen to mostly rock and metal. Id say the single 15 would do you better if you listen to more rap music. The most accuracy your going to get is the 2 12's in a sealed box, but it takes a ton of power to push the set up to the point of hitting really hard. At the other end of the spectrum, id say would be the 15 in a ported box. With your lower tones like in rap music, it would hit plenty hard while not taking alot of power (compared to a sealed box) but the accuracy will not be as great. So if your not concerned with quality, and just wanna see how hard you can pound, id say the 15 in a ported box. Just make sure you go through the steps to make sure your box is made to the right design for both the speaker and your car/truck, it takes a little time, but if you dont do it, the best setup could come out sounding like butt. Hope that helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.