The correct way to set HPF/LPF?

dhall615
10+ year member

ATL
So from what I have read its not good to set the filter on the HU and amp (as it causes some kind of loop or feedback?)... So I ask which is the better option (HU / amp / does it really matter?)... any input helps.

In the case where you have a non-defeatable crossover (some sub amps) you just set it to the highest point and then set the sub output on the HU. If you don't mind not being able to adjust on the fly, you leave the HU xover off, and use the amp.

I know some guys that like to set at the amp simply so you dont hit something by accident on your headunit. I guess that would depend on the deck, but I have heard stories about somebody hit something in a menu and smoked a tweeter or mid because they changed the xover point.

Well now to my next issue LOL... I have been trying to get my Infinity REF-6502ix to sound good at 75% volume... rap and EDM with highs and lows sound fine. When I get to something with a lot of mid the SQ goes to **** and is distorted. example artist is modestep and nero first I can think of. I am streaming off pandora or off google mucsic app on my phone over BT. I have set the coxals to a FULL signal. My JVC HU also has a "easy" filter by speaker size that I tried and FULL sounds better but they both get horrid distortion and I have to back the volume off. I have played with the EQ on the phone and on HU but cant get it just right. Im going to get some 320K sudio and see if that cleans it up... any other suggestions?

Since you are using a BT signal, your problem partially lies in there. Pandora and such generally have an emphasis on highs and lows, with a gap in the midrange. The infinities are generally a similar animal, they lack in the midrange area but will make you cry on the highs and do decently on midbass. A different set of comps could cure this, but attenuating the midbass and highs on songs that you'd like to have more midrange in would also help your cause.

Its not that the mids are lacking its just distorted. I mean I can run most stuff at 75% volume no problems and then a song with heavy mids and it is terrible. I will try dropping the mids overall but it doesn't sound as good.

Eq set to flat? Seems odd, but sounds like you need some listening time and modifying eq. Maybe you have over-emphasis of midrange in your setup, maybe you need to just buck up and go with 3-way comps with a dedicated midrange, maybe you're clipping... lots of reasons.

I need to rule out BT and verify I have good audio bitrate. From thee I will play with the EQ. Im working at 75% volume as that is the max volume I will set the subs for.

So I figured it out... HPF was not on on the 6x9 or front coaxial 6.5. Filtered lows out and wounding alot better. Now Im set to install the subs and get the gains and filters set properly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.