testing amps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dont_smokerocks
10+ year member

"DO IT."
Florida
How would I test an amp to see if it works? Can i just hook up the ground and power or do i need to run remote wire as well? Reason I'm asking is my amp wont turn on. I installed my headunit the other day and it was simple. All the wires are hooked up right and I ran the power, ground, remote and RCA's today. My amp would not turn on. Ihave no clue whats wrong and I'm on the verge of taking it to Circuit City and letting them test all my wires. Please help

BTW this is with a 2000 jeep cherokee and a viper 1200.1.

um... if i were in your shoes, id make sure that your remote turn on lead is hooked up correctly to the head unit... ive had that happen to me before and almost chucked my amp cuz of it. My dad has always taught me that when it comes to electronics, "in order to get a good output, you need a good input, so before troubleshooting this and replacing that, make sure your signals are correct and start from there." works every time for me.... if your remote is hooked up right, make sure your power and ground leads are secure and take a voltmeter to check to see if you can get voltage between the wires. If not, then you have a bad connection. After that, theres tons of things to go through, but i would say the easiest way to test it is to get your buddy's car, which has a system already, and swap your amp into his car for a minute to see if it will turn on in his car... hopethis helps.. good luck bro

How would I test an amp to see if it works? Can i just hook up the ground and power or do i need to run remote wire as well?
BTW this is with a 2000 jeep cherokee and a viper 1200.1.
can someone answer this for me please?

yeah.. but what i said works too...
Yeah, but you said alot and he apparently didn't like your answer.... so I gave him the simple short answer he was looking for.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.