test drove a wrx today

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassHeadL7
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Smyrna,TN
i was in nashville today at a subaru dealership. i wanted to test drive a wrx so i did and it was ****in quick. it was an 02 model and when the turbo spools up at about 5000 rpm it reaches redline very fast. i definitely enjoyed the drive; anyone else drove one and has some opinions?

I drive a friends 03' WRX Sedan all the time...

I have come to the conclusion that the WRX is very good inthe department of acceleration - and the AWD is a good thing. Braking is suprisingly well, and the whole gauge/control layout is to my liking. It handles really well but overall the ride is a little stiff. Rear seat passengers dont have a lot of room back there, either. And for a stock stereo, it isnt all that bad with the upgraded package. The 2.0L H4 has 16 valves and 4 cylinders, powering the sub-compact 3085 with 227hp and 217ft.lb torque - backed with a 5 speed manual transmission. 20mpg in the city and 27mpg on the highway is fine, better than most comparable cars that are usually around 17-19/25ish. Front/rear independent suspension is well tuned. 16" wheels and a nice set of passenger tires help decrease road noise - I would opt for something with a nicer tread pattern, however. It sits fairly close to the ground as well...we measured about 6.8" just off the lot and about 6.2" after it was broken in for a little while. If you ever need it to tow something, it'll gladly pull up to 2000lbs of cargo I believe. Rack and pinion steering is pretty nice...and front/rear disk brakes bring the WRX to a halt in a hurry.

My friends WRX has the Premium Sound Package...which includes upgraded speakers and a 120watt amp/sub combo. He also had his car equiped with the Performance Group...basically get your turbo boost gauge, sporty shift knob (looks like titanium/steel), and a "short throw" shifter. He also opted for the WRX Sedan Performance Suspension Kit. It comes with a strut kit, aluminum arm kit, performance stabilizer bar, and bushing kit for the front and rear. A week later he figured out that he wanted new rims (duh), so he purchased the 17" optional rims and threw on a set of Toyo rubbers.

Another thing I should mention is that it only comes with a stock 75amp alternator...an upgrade should be considered when adding an aftermarket stereo that will draw more current.

With the other minor options he added on - rear differential protector, wheel locks, rubber floor mats, carbon fiber trim - brings the vehicle to about $27, 000 MSRP.

Well I could go on and on, but all in all - that's my WRX review.

- Steve

i also drove a WRX...'03 edition. the clutch is very soft and forgiving, and shifting is a breeze. i dont think that i've ever driven a stick that is as soft as this one, but then again i haven't driven a ton of cars. the one i drove also had the premium sound package...could be nice with some X/O's for the speakers and a better sub. all in all i would give this car a 9/10 because its such a great value, and with some money put into the suspension it would make the ride even better. because the suspension would have to be this car's weakest point.

-nate

Originally posted by nswartley that car is going to be godlike. you better video tape some of this rally style driving for us //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

man get us some pics of the car too!!!!

-nate
VIDEO TAPE.....!!!!! Oh man thats gonna be fun.

- Steve

ya i think the stiffer suspension setup would have better cornering qualities. i noticed that the suspension was stiff when i drove it.

i envy u too. i can only imagine how fast it would be after upgrading the turbos.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Well if you all happen to be in Vegas june 7-9 you'll be seeing it tearing up the streets during the Truckin' Nationals.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

Originally posted by ss3079 Well if you all happen to be in Vegas june 7-9 you'll be seeing it tearing up the streets during the Truckin' Nationals.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve
thats next week! ahhh i wish that i didn't have finals //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

-nate

Originally posted by Jmac I rather liked the feeling of the suspension on the WRX ... Maybe a little stiff, but I'd rather have a suspension that's too stiff than too soft ...
yea its a subjective thing...i think that it had a little bit too much body roll, but its still good.

-nate

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.