technical questions....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
damping factor.......does it change with frequency? Damping factor drops as impedance drops, so can a 1ohm stable amp be designed ground up to have an good damping factor with typical amps running 4ohm loads?

I know impedance changes with frequency, but when it becomes too high at certain notes, does the amp lose output at that frequency? Does it play the note softer?

Does impedance rise do the same thing?

more to come later as questions are answered......

damping factor.......does it change with frequency? Damping factor drops as impedance drops' date=' so can a 1ohm stable amp be designed ground up to have an good damping factor with typical amps running 4ohm loads?[/quote']
I'm not a firm believer in the relevance of damping factor, but I do prefer to stay above the minimum rated impedance because my sub sounds better that way. If you really want to look into damping factor with all the math involved check out this article: Damping Factor: Effects On System Response — Reviews and News from Audioholics

I know impedance changes with frequency, but when it becomes too high at certain notes, does the amp lose output at that frequency? Does it play the note softer?
Yes, but this happens with your entire system as music is playing. Your amplifiers are constantly changing the amount of output to follow the music. I'm not sure what you're getting at with these questions.

Yes, but this happens with your entire system as music is playing. Your amplifiers are constantly changing the amount of output to follow the music. I'm not sure what you're getting at with these questions.
With my setup, I get a dip in the frequency response possibly somewhere between 50 and 70hz where the subs don't sound loud at all. I was wondering if the possible high impedance at that frequency is causing the amp not to play as loud. Can that happen?

From what I understand about amps, the higher the impedance, the lower the output. So if the amp plays a particular frequency and the sub playing the note creates 30 ohms of resistance on that note, wouldn't the amp drastically lose output trying to play the note? After all, the amp is "seeing" a 30 ohm load..........or does it not work that way?

damping factor.......does it change with frequency? Damping factor drops as impedance drops' date=' so can a 1ohm stable amp be designed ground up to have an good damping factor with typical amps running 4ohm loads?
[b']I know impedance changes with frequency, but when it becomes too high at certain notes, does the amp lose output at that frequency? Does it play the note softer?[/b]

Does impedance rise do the same thing?

more to come later as questions are answered......
When impedance rises, the amp puts out less power. It does not mean you have less output at that frequency necessarily. I do not have any charts readily available, but if you look at an impedance rise for a given setup, and then look at the frequency response, you will see that they do not correspond directly.

With my setup' date=' I get a dip in the frequency response possibly somewhere between 50 and 70hz where the subs don't sound loud at all. I was wondering if the possible high impedance at that frequency is causing the amp not to play as loud. Can that happen?
From what I understand about amps, the higher the impedance, the lower the output. So if the amp plays a particular frequency and the sub playing the note creates 30 ohms of resistance on that note, wouldn't the amp drastically lose output trying to play the note? After all, the amp is "seeing" a 30 ohm load..........or does it not work that way?[/quote']

There can be a big difference between what you hear in your driver's seat vs what you could measure right in front of the cone. You could have a phase cancellation causing an audible dip in loudness. If you have your speakers crossed in that range that could exacerbate the problem if it is a phase problem. If you can move your box front to back and change which way it aims I'd start there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.