Tech question about 2 chan. amp running 1 ch. at 2 ohms

crazydude133
10+ year member

Ok,,, I am lookin around all sorts of sites that sell amps and for the specs i never see ex. 200watts x 1 rms (2ohms) for any amp that is 2 or more channels. But... it often says ex. 100wattsx1rms(4ohms). so can a 2 channel amp be bridged to one channel and run at 2 ohms?

Another side quetion for yah,,,,, if i get one of those 50x4 pioneer decks can i bridge any of those channels?

Thanks

You can run an amp 2 ohms mono. Chances are though, that it will over heat within a couple minutes.

What happens when you bridge an amp is that each channel sees 1/2 the load. So if you bridge and run at 4 ohms, the two bridged channels see 2 ohms each. If you bridge to 2 ohms each channel is only seeing one ohm. Not many amps are built for that kind of current.

And I do believe there are a few recievers that have bridgeable channels, but they're only going to give you probably 30-40 watts rms so it's really not much of a gain, especially if you're wanting to power a sub.

Yes,, i understand now thank you.

About the deck,,, i am gonna have to find out what decks can do that cause i am only plannin on runnin 2 speaks of the deck,, and i want more power than what only one ch. can put out

crazy dude133---- check out kickers

kx 550.3 it a three channel amp

rated at

75x2 into 2ohm stereo

plus

400x1 into 2ohm bridge/mono (class d)

give it a look at (kicker.com)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

That kicker amp seems pretty sweet,,,,,, I am just wondering cause i think that the 75 x 2 would be used for mids and highs but i havent seen any ex. 2way speakers... that are 2 ohm. So how would you wire them into 2 ohm so that you are still in stereo?

I hope u get what i am sayin

thanks

I wouldn't try to bridge an HU amp. I doubt that most HU amps are 2 ohm stable. Besides that they are not built to dissipate the heat that the internal amp would create resulting in poor performance anyhow.

crazydude 133--- you can wire a 6'' mid bass

a 4'' midrange and tweeter on one channel

for a 2ohm load in stereo

or a pair of coaxles on one channel

for a 2ohm load in stereo

on the kx 550

then use the 3rd channel (class d

for your subs

you''ll be better off using a amp(more power)

then you would be trying to bridge

your headunit:cool:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.