teach me about car audio

moparman1

PA
hello, im new here and know nothing about car audio what so ever. i have a 2000 chrysler cirrus lxi 2.5 and have invested in performance (for what it is) and looks and now im ready to learn what i need for some sweet audio.

what it has currently: my audio system is all OEM. except for a AIWA ct-fx929 head unit which i like alot. it has tons of adjustment and it was free so i couldnt pass it up. but when i have it up full blast, it sounds like my speakers are breaking up, and really sounds like ****.

i dont know what i need to correct this? people have said to use an amp. but i have no idea how to install one or what kind of amp i would need. can anyone help me out and teach me a little about this?

Search through the thread you will find all kind of stuff. I'd try to learn the basics first tho such as wiring and what to do and not to do when wiring. Last thing you want to do is **** your cars electrical.

Basic Car Audio Electronics

start there for information. educate yourself.

you can be simple and replace all of the speakers with like sizes, and run new wiring from each speaker to the head unit. but that won't change your current issue.

the speakers will always sound terrible when at "full blast" because you are sending them distortion. the head unit is only good to about 50% volume before its internal distortion is audible. above 80% the amp inside a headunit is useless.

if you want more volume you need a larger amp. not the credit-card sized amp in the head unit but a textbook sized amp in the trunk or under a seat. there are thousands of options. all come at a price. i don't recommend someone attempt a DIY install such as this without dozens of hours of research. You also need specialized tools and a place to tear the vehicle apart. it's not "difficult" but most people do a crappy job, even those who think they know what they are doing.

who did the head unit install? Awia is pretty low-end as far as car audio brands go.

Did the car have an Infinity system as stock?

Do you understand Ohm's Law and do you own a decent DMM?

Are you comfortable disassembling a car's interior and then putting it back together?

If this is just a one time deal, i'd suggest just buying a 4 channel amp(5 channel if you want to add a small subwoofer) then pay 40 dollars to have your local shop do the install for you.

If your really interested in car audio and want to make it a hobby, then start searching and reading threads, youtube how to videos, and hold on to your seats because its gonna be a bumpy ride.

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

also need a 4 channel amp wiring kit

It's not going to be a one time deal. I think I'm going with a pioneer head unit. I did the wiring and I have no problem tearing anything apart. I've done tons of wiring without a problem. What I didn't understand was my head unit says 4x50w and it seems like my 800w speakers couldn't handle 50. After some reading I understand why. What kind of speakers, amp and head unit should I go with? It doesn't have to be the best of the best. Thanks everyone for all the help.

It's not going to be a one time deal. I think I'm going with a pioneer head unit. I did the wiring and I have no problem tearing anything apart. I've done tons of wiring without a problem. What I didn't understand was my head unit says 4x50w and it seems like my 800w speakers couldn't handle 50. After some reading I understand why. What kind of speakers, amp and head unit should I go with? It doesn't have to be the best of the best. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Welcome to car audio where nothing makes sense, in the long run rocket science might be easier lol. Good luck bud best I can say is read read read before you buy anything and ask as many questions as possible before you buy also.

The training shown in this video is not for people who are very inexperienced with car audio, but there's a lot you can learn from this.

[video=youtube;85mWsMJOh-8]

OK so I've spent hours reading around and I have decided that I'm going to completely re-wire my audio. I'm going to be replacing all over my speakers because of the bad vibration sounds they put off and also my rear drivers side speaker doesn't work.

I'm not going to do the best of the best. I'm looking for 2 rear speakers (6x9) and two fronts (4x6) that will handle some abuse. I'm also looking for a 4 channel amp that has over 250w but less then 1000w. Any recommendations on what to go with? Or if anyone has any such for sale, please let me know.

JBL Power 4x6s and 6x9s powered by a Precision Power BK520.4 would be a killer budget friendly start to a full system. The speakers would have 130W RMS available, which is a lot. If you want a new head unit, which I recommend, you should look for something with 6 RCA pre-outs. I can get you everything and advise you on how to set it up to sound great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.