Taramps smart3k troubleshooting

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
So on my way in to work today my subs started cutting in and out so I turned off the subs through my hu. When I got to work I turned them back on a watched the indicator with a bass heavy song i listen to regularly without issue. My smart3k hit clip then protect. It's only for a second then it did it again. I checked all my connections and they're all good. I had the volume 10 below where I set for full tilt with the sub level at zero. The sub amp sees no eq (lpf is set at 80, the eq is flat up 100hz). I didn't have my dmm with to check voltages, I'm gonna do that when I get home. I check the voltage up front and the back once a week and i get 15.1v at startup and 14.6-14.8v when its warm. Between both batteries I got 150ah and a 320a alternator. Power and grounds all 0g ofc. Is there something I missing that I need to check? I'm stumped.

When you get a chance to, try checking impedance at the output terminals on the amplifier, then impedance from the terminal to the subwoofer itself.
Also, from the ground on the input of the amp to the point it’s grounded out to. Maybe it could have come loose at some point and vibrates
To me it doesn’t sound like the amp itself has failed it sounds like electrical somewhere.
I’m assuming with the 320amp alternator you did the big three?

Yep big 3 is done up in 0g ofc. The grounds are all tight. I can check the resistance when I get home though.

I'm at 1 ohm
Right on, probably won't apply to you then. My buddy is on his second smart bass 3k. The first one had a fault with the switching mechanism Tar uses to keep the watts up while cycling through .5 - 2 ohms. So it would kind of glitch when it was trying to figure out the ohms to run on. He gave me the scientific rundown but that's basically the gist of it.

Last edited:
Mine powers up fine until the bass hits then it goes from clip to protect really fast then less then a minute later it's pushing my subs then repeats the cycle

Ok after check the voltages...front was 14.99 on and 12.48 off...the rear was 11.08 on and off...so I checked the fuse between them...someone took my fuse out in the last couple days...so the rear battery wasn't charging...now I gotta wait til this weekend to put it on the charger to see if the rear battery is smoked 🤬

Ok after check the voltages...front was 14.99 on and 12.48 off...the rear was 11.08 on and off...so I checked the fuse between them...someone took my fuse out in the last couple days...so the rear battery wasn't charging...now I gotta wait til this weekend to put it on the charger to see if the rear battery is smoked 🤬
Glad you found it.

Deff prob. going to have to prob. remove the rear battery and place it on a charger to see if it will charge up properly back to 12.5 or to 12.7 if it will. if its an AGM battery.. make sure you use an AGM charger. At 11.08vresting.. You may get lucky and get t to charge back to normal state. Id charge it for two days solid man. I use a Noco 5 on a slow charge/ dead AGM and my Noco10 on a bit quicker charge to crank a dead batt, or my Shumac.200for a quick start. AGMs are generally pretty Diehard Batts compared to lead/conventional batteries.In the 10.5range.. Its deff a hit or miss if the cells survived / :poop: . I wouldnt recommend buying or running any otimus red Tops or yellow Tops. Those got me pretty good a few years back damaging 4 batts and two HOalts before I found out the batts were garbage to begin with.Expensive lesson

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...