Tang Band 6x9 sub review- Discuss here :)

jmanpc
5,000+ posts

CA.com Nostalgist.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

Pics:

P1015246.jpg

P1015247.jpg

P1015249.jpg

P1015251.jpg

First Impressions:

This is a hefty little sub. Heftier than I expected. It's not a normal oval shape like a normal 6x9. It's more like an elongated circle (more on this later). It's very solidly built. No excess glue, everything's centered, aligned and ship shape. It's a very "no-BS" speaker. No frills, nothing cute. Everything has a purpose.

Upon taking them out of the box, my first impulse was to hook 'em up to the reciever and free-air them. I used my crappy HTIB subwoofer out, which could be 30w, could be 50w. It doesn't say. I did a few sweeps from 10hz-80hz, played some 0db sine waves- 10hz, 20hz, 30hz, 45hz and 60hz. It performed very well, no bottoming out, minimal mechanical noise (because I was free-airing it, I suspect)

Installed:

They're installed in the doors of my 05 Dodge Caravan. The downside of that is that the doors look like swiss cheese. I'm too broke to afford any sound dampening, and the doors are only sealed by the factory.... stuff. This is where their odd shape comes into play. Putting the subs in the doors is like sticking a square peg in a round hole. I had to hack up the doors a bit to fit 'em. I know this next point is my own fault, but the subs are too deep for use in doors. My window only rolls down half way. I think you'd be better off using them as rears. But hey, I've gotten used to it. They're crossed over from 40hz to 250hz at -18 db/oct. Powering them is a Lightning Audio X1.800.4, which is 100w x 4 @ 4 ohms, and since it's an 8 ohm driver, I can pretty safely assume that they're recieving 50w RMS.

So how do they sound, you say? Well I'm glad you asked. Never has the performance of these puppies let me down. Right now, my van is subless, and I've had them crossed over pretty low, and they have played very flat down into the mid 30's, despite the fact that they've been bodged into half-sealed doors.

They really kick like a mule, and their output is very tight and punchy. On songs like "Feel Good Inc." by the Gorillaz, coming out of the chorus, there is a very distinct, clear-cut drum beat. When I had my Explorer, and I heard that on my L7, it was pretty soft and fuzzy. Over the Tang-Bands, it is razor-sharp, quick and precise. Tang Band has done a great job on giving them a very quick sound.

On longer, synthesized bass lines, they really shine, too. "Trapped in the drive-thru" by Weird Al (yes, you heard correctly), the Tang Bands are LOUD! The output seriously caught me by surprise. "Dracula" by The Gorillaz is a great example of it's ability to perform on complex bass lines. The bass line in that song is constantly changing, and tone to tone, the TB hits every note well. Sometimes, they're too loud for their own good, though. When used in doors like mine, on rap music, they literally start to shake my doors apart. Everything capable of rattling in the doors.... rattles. That's why I recommend using them in a rear deck or in rear panels. Fewer moving parts around.

I've come to the conclusion, though, that the W69's true love is the bass guitar. On songs like "Freeway Jam" by Jeff Beck, bass lines that would otherwise be ignored are really brought to the surface. In the bass solo in "Heart of the Sunrise" by Yes, the Tang Bands are very rhythmic and full, and blend in with the mids seamlessly.

All I can say about the sound of these is great job, Tang Band. Y'all have outdone yourselves. But as for mounting, they really need to stick to a more traditional shape that will drop into factory locations.

Sorry for the length. But, enjoy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

that was my review, but the mods thought it would be funny to delete all my posts.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/censored.gif.f9ad8e7c6db58c5530c5a0a20a3b5baf.gif

that was my review, but the mods thought it would be funny to delete all my posts.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/censored.gif.f9ad8e7c6db58c5530c5a0a20a3b5baf.gif
why??

lol! That bottom pic is about like parking your scooter next to a Harley. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have wondered what these things sounded like. I plan on using a set in my wifes full size Montero. Since it's a 7 seater and I can't afford to give up the cargo room for an enclosure (and she doesn't want her vehicle to sound like "thunder") I thought these would fit the bill. I plan on crossing them at around 300hz just to help with mid-bass reinforcement. You confirmed my suspicion that some modification would be required to get them in the factory location. Thanks for the write-up.

You should make some baffles for the doors. I bet that would help with mounting depth and could help with some rattling and low end if you make them big enough.

Nice read. I've always had my eye on these things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.