Tang Band 6x9 sub review- Discuss here :)

I would make a baffle, but the door panels literally touch the doors, so there's no room for a baffle. I'm just going to deaden the crap out of it.

Update:

I've recently hooked up the TB's in conjunction with my MAW 12. Since the MAW is in a 4th order bandpass, the output tends to be a bit fuzzy and dull. However, when paired with the TB's, the bass has more of an edge to it. The TB's tend to polish up the sound of the sub a bit. I love it.

I have two 6x9 openings in the rear deck of my IS300 that are empty. If I were to make a sealed enclosure that attached to the underside of the deck do you think they would keep up with my Focals?

*Heart of the Sunrise is my FAVORITE song on Fragile...though Roundabout is my ringtone:)

Yeah, we firgured a couple things out...

-The sub is fine (played it in his truck)

-My system is fine (tried switching RCAs and tuning and everything)

-I have a really dead car (IS300 trunks are their own separate universe)

I think we are going to try and put it in a ported box on Saturday and see if that helps. If not I think I might try and put something in my rear deck so its hitting in the cabin and doesn't have to fight through the trunk.

Ehhh, we'll see how it goes...

Update: I sealed up my doors yesterday using 2 layers of Second Skin Damplifier and the speaker kit. Mad props to Ant at Second skin!

Anywho, I just sat down for a nice listening this afternoon to see what these things could really do now that I have the doors properly deadened and sealed as best as I coulg get em. For the test, the equalizer on the head unit was flat, and my Kicker KQ9 was disabled to allow all notes to flow naturally. The subwoofer was also deactivated to allow me to hear the TB's fully.

I thought these were impressive at first.... but I can't even begin to convey how big the difference is now that the doors are deadened, and they're in a more friendly environment. The difference isn't just night and day. It's summer and winter, cat and dog, Ford and Chevy, paper and plastic... The W69-1042s are completely different animals.

I listened to a wide variety of music for the test:

1: Yellowcard- Three Flights Up, leading into Lights and Sounds

Three Flights Up is a very gentle track, with piano and violin. Never were the TB's overbearing or absent. Just right. But, as Lights and Sounds starts up, there's a distinct drum beat, and the TBs nail it. When they bust out with the guitars and drums and bass and violin and all, the music is very full and rounded out. No complaints here.

2: Yellowcard- Two weeks from twenty

This song has a very prominent drum beat and bass line. The drum beat really leaps out at first, and is very punchy. But once the bass guitar comes in, the clarity seems to drop. It all kind of blends together into a punchy.... droning. Eh...

3: Emerson Lake and Palmer- The Three Fates

Lots of Organ work in this song. The TB's had excellent output and added great fullenss to the music. And while it was pleasing to the ear, when the organ went low, it seemed flat and unnatural. It wasn't something the average ear would notice in an everyday situation, but when you really listen to it, you'll notice. Could be the recording, though.

4: Roper- Red Eye to Miami

Excellent bass guitar line in this song. The TBs carry themselves with composure, never seeming out of place or unnatural. Theres a distinct seperation of the bass and the drum in this song, though. High marks.

5: Jeff Beck- Freeway Jam

More great bass guitar work in this song. On a normal stereo, like when I just had 2-way components in the Explorer, the bass guitar was there, but it wasn't there. With the TBs, the bass guitar is there in force. It's very defined, very clear, and very realistic.

6: Chumbawamba- Outsider

This song starts out with a sysnthesized sound that plays around 60hz, if I had to guess, then drops low, maybe even into the 20hz region. This is where the Tang Bands surprised me: they went low with no complaints. No funny noises or harmonics, just low and clean. I was wowed. I couldn't believe that was coming from two 8" midbasses on 50w!

7: Some rap.... Yung Joc or something.

Yeah, I'm no rap fan. In fact, I hate rap. But yeah, they were loud.

Enjoy.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.