Take a minute to see my intended set-up. Appreciate any input what-so-ever. Thanks

itscashed

SC
I have always been a performance guy. My last daily driver had no stereo equipment at all to keep the weight down as far as possible. Since I am getting a little older, I want a nice stereo set-up. That way, I can have a quick ride AND a quality audio set-up. My car is kinda loud so any input on how that may effect my listening experience would be appreciated.

The guy at Elite audio, here in SC put together the following set-up. Let me know what you would change, if anything. I am on a budget and he priced me everything wholesale because I work for a Car dealer here in town and we have done a lot of business together. Budget started at $1,000 and I am a little over that. That is fine but I want to make sure I am happy. I listen to all types of music pretty equally. Oh and also, BT streaming is a MUST.

Vehicle: 2002 Subaru WRX

Head unit: JVC KDA925BT $220.00

Front: FOCAL 165 VB (Comp) 1 pair $260.00

Rear: FOCAL 165 CA1 (Coax) 1 pair $150.00

Subwoofer: JL AUDIO CS112-WX (JL sub & JL box) $130.00

Amp: JL AUDIO JX360/4 CHAN $180.00

Kit/Harness: UNKNOWN $50.00

Amp kit: UKNNOWN 8G KIT $35.00

RCA: UNKNOWN $5.00

Sub Total: $1030.00

Install Amp: $80.00

Install 6 Speakers (only 2 in of mounting depth so needs mod.) $120.00

Grand Total: $1230.00

Let me know what you think. Will I be Happy? Is it a Fair Deal? I am a noob and appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a lot guys(and gals)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do bigger wire, 8guage is a little small in my opinion. You also seem to be missing an amp for your subwoofer. I personally wouldn't run one of JL's lower end subs if you want to keep this for a while, for example, a 12w6v2 would be somehting i could listen to over and over and over. Other than that pricing seems decent. If installed correctly and tuned correctly should sound nice.

so are you running all your focals off the 4 channel or just the fronts and rear channels to the sub? personally not a big fan of jvc decks, but im sure some people do. Focals are great speakers, the setup should sound pretty good if its all done right

I have always been a performance guy. My last daily driver had no stereo equipment at all to keep the weight down as far as possible. Since I am getting a little older, I want a nice stereo set-up. That way, I can have a quick ride AND a quality audio set-up. My car is kinda loud so any input on how that may effect my listening experience would be appreciated.
The guy at Elite audio, here in SC put together the following set-up. Let me know what you would change, if anything. I am on a budget and he priced me everything wholesale because I work for a Car dealer here in town and we have done a lot of business together. Budget started at $1,000 and I am a little over that. That is fine but I want to make sure I am happy. I listen to all types of music pretty equally. Oh and also, BT streaming is a MUST.

Vehicle: 2002 Subaru WRX

Head unit: JVC KDA925BT $220.00

Front: FOCAL 165 VB (Comp) 1 pair $260.00

Rear: FOCAL 165 CA1 (Coax) 1 pair $150.00

Subwoofer: JL AUDIO CS112-WX (JL sub & JL box) $130.00

Amp: JL AUDIO JX360/4 CHAN $180.00

Kit/Harness: UNKNOWN $50.00

Amp kit: UKNNOWN 8G KIT $35.00

RCA: UNKNOWN $5.00

Sub Total: $1030.00

Install Amp: $80.00

Install 6 Speakers (only 2 in of mounting depth so needs mod.) $120.00

Grand Total: $1230.00

Let me know what you think. Will I be Happy? Is it a Fair Deal? I am a noob and appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a lot guys(and gals)
Don't cheap out on these. Go to knu konceptz for some good, relatively cheap wiring kits and rca cables.

maybe I am missing it but where is the amp for the sub?
I am going to run the rear channel to the sub. I understand that I will loose fade control but that is not a big deal. I was trying to get something that has a great all around sound for all types of music. I was concerned that there may not be enough power for the sub but I do not want to sink a ton of money into this yet. Should I just forget the Sub all together for now because I do not want to give up the focals, unless you think Hertz would be a step sideways and not too far back?

so are you running all your focals off the 4 channel or just the fronts and rear channels to the sub?
Yes.

I did not really want to use the JVC either but it was one of the cheaper BT decks with front and rear usb and 5v output to everything.

I was thinking that a Kenwood KDCX695 would be a better fit, but then I have to go to the competition to get it. I am pretty Loyal to this shop and they do not carry Kenwood anymore. The only other deck there I saw that I liked was an Alpine (do not remember the model) and it was like 400.00

I do have a different option from another place. I just wish I could get some things from one store and some things from another. Some of the prices I was quoted were pretty good so I would like to give all my business to one so they actually make something. Here was my first 1200.00 setup.

Head unit: KENWOOD KDCX695 $210.00

Front: HERTZ ECX165.4 2 WAYS (coax) $105.00

Rear: HERTZ ECX100.4 2 WAYS (coax) $87.00

Subwoofer: MTX RTS12-04 12" SINGLE 4 OHM SUB & SEALED BOX $166.00

Amp: MASSIVE NX5 4X120 + 1X800 5 CHAN $395.00

Kit/Harness: UNKNOWN $INC IN LABOR

Amp kit: UKNNOWN $INC IN LABOR

RCA: UNKNOWN $INC IN LABOR

Sub Total: $1003

labor: $295.00

Grand total: $1298.00

I originally said I would not spend over a grand but **** you cannot do this cheap can you?

For Comparrison my Motion Lab tuning Bill was only twice as much as this and I got:

Blouch 18G XT Turbo and oil lines

MLT Electronic 3-port boost controller

MLT 1000cc Injectors

Turbosmart 100% Recirc BOV

Installed including $450.00 for Dyno time

ok so it was like 2.6 times as much but still. Car audio is not cheap! But...I must say, it is probably worth it.

So I have two options. If you have suggestions that will make it over 100.00 more (other than the good ones I have gotten so far) let me know. But I think the first setup is a GREAT deal and will sound better overall. I actually know the work the first shop does, the second, not so much. They charge a lot more labor too.

Thanks again I really to appreciate it. I am in unfamiliar territory here.

Its hard to compare the Hertz and Focals.. Both are great but you need to look into running componets instead of coax. I had one of those WX 12s, it was horrible. bad sound quality and the output was what you would expect from a 150 watt sub(not much)

I wouldnt do a rear fill. Run with a front stage and setup time alignment and be happy.. unless youll have passengers often (Doubtful in a performance car)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.