CD player LPF options only 72, 111, 157Hz

Participant count
  • Participant list

solidcrowd
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have a simple question. My cd player subwoofer LPF options are only 72, 111, 157 hz. I have my SI Mag powered by a Cerwin Vega EXL-1200D. That has a LPF on it also but I am not sure how both of these low pass filters work together. If my headunit is set at 72hz but my subwoofer amp is set to 80hz..which one is being used?

My bass is not how I would like it at times. I want my LPF at 80hz and my door speakers HPF set to 110hz (no HPF on my door speaker amp); but there is no option for it.

Should I look into buying a Kicker KX2 or KX3 crossover or something of that sort?

Sorry if my question is not too clear. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting muddy bass... I don't think I have a full range options. My headunit only has those 3 options and my subwoofer amp I can't turn off the crossover. Do I set my subwoofer crossover all the way up and set my headunit to 111hz? I'm not sure what to do or buy...

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

or set my cd player to 157hz and set my subwoofer crossover setting to 80hz?

here is what I would do in this situation

set your lowpass on the head unit to 72hz

play a song with decent bass

adjust the crossover setting on the amp until your ears are happy.

I am getting muddy bass... I don't think I have a full range options. My headunit only has those 3 options and my subwoofer amp I can't turn off the crossover. Do I set my subwoofer crossover all the way up and set my headunit to 111hz? I'm not sure what to do or buy... 

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

or set my cd player to 157hz and set my subwoofer crossover setting to 80hz?
Pioneers are that way also...in that case I use the rear outputs from the deck for my sub amp...

You want to high pass your speakers. The HU doesn't offer that?
I would put subs on front outputs instead of rear. I fade to front
I use the subs on rear RCAs and front stage on the front RCAs...that way the fader sorta functions like a sub level through the deck for diffrent music bass levels....

I have no rear fill... So your saying I should put the subwoofer amp RCAs where the door speaker amp RCAs go now? and vise versa?

Wouldn't that then make my 5 band equalizer useless and my LPF (72, 111, 157hz) be used on my speakers?

If I were you, I'd keep the RCAs where they are, since those are subwoofer specific, and the unit has subwoofer specific settings.

The amp has a 24dB/octave slope low pass, and I don't know about the head unit(searched for a little bit... couldn't find much). Regardless, I'd turn the head unit's LPF off, and put the amp's around 80. Of course, you'll want to listen to the sub itself to figure out where it should be, but I'd definitely use the amp's low pass.

As for the speakers and the high pass on the head unit(since the amp only has the option to have one on or off at 120Hz), what different options do you have for the HPF on the head unit? Since the speakers are 5.25", I'm not sure how low they'll be able to go to meet up with that sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.