System Upgrade

Jared_109

I drive a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0L gas if that matters. Right now it has the stock alternator and I'm getting ready to do the Big 3 upgrade. I'm pushing two 12 inch MTX Thunder 5500 series subs in a ported box with an MA Audio 1800w RMS class D monoblock. Using it because I got the whole setup for $300 just to start out on. Now is when a whole list of questions is about to begin so bear with me and please no hate. The system itself sounds pretty good, but I don't think it's quite what I want. Plus the fact that at higher volumes on certain songs the door speakers seem to distort. I'm thinking adding an amp to the door speakers will help this, but I'm not sure and I'm almost positive the stock alternator will not handle it. So, I'm thinking of just upgrading my whole system and selling what I have (new alternator, subs, amps, etc). Let's say I want to run two 12 inch Sundown SA or two 12 inch CT Sounds Strato, which is the better of the two (Also open to suggestions). I'm picking one of these two due to the decent price and either of them seem to be underrated, and because I was told by someone who can costum build me a box that if I went with Sundown X series I wouldn't be able to keep the back seat in my extended cab. Also, if I'm looking at a good and true 2k or 3k watts RMS to power these subs, what size alternator would be recommended? PS I forgot to mention above, the new subs will be ran in a ported box. I'm sure I'm forgetting to add something and it'll probably come to me later, but for a good starting point I'll leave what I have now and thanks in advance. I'm basically looking for something that people can hear me coming... they say they can with the current setup I have now and that I rattle their vehicle if behind them at a stop light, but I have a feeling I can do better lol

Sundowns for sure are better then CT sounds crap!

Get the biggest alternator you can afford 240a+

2-3k system HO alt and big 3 and agm batt under the hood plus 1 batt in the back should get the job done

Volts x Amps = Watts if you know the wattage you want to have and the voltage it will operate at then do the math to figure out the amperage alt you will need just done forget to factor the amp draw of the vehicle itself.

Coleman the owner of ct is dirty.
well the reason I ask is because I know a guy that sells CT stuff around where I live and he told me the Stratos sub compares very well to the Sundown SA series, which I would have to order online somewhere. Is this true that the subs themselves are comparable or should I try and just go for the Sundown?

The size and power handling might be similar but the quality and performance of the sundown is much better. Personally of but alpine type r's before the ct sounds sub.

Listen to massive spl!! CT is a scam in my opinion. Matter of fact i believe there is a warning post on this forum.

One of the local shops used to carry ct and then they stopped and dropped ct from their store for acouple reasons... First amps kept blowing up. Lol that's never good and two Coleman charged like $2000-3000 to their account without asking them for shlt they didn't order. I'm pretty sure there is a law suit against Coleman on that because it was wrong what he was trying to do

Owner's past aside just pure subwoofer experiences, Stratos before type R. Almost anything on the market now can beat the type R in terms of both sound quality and definitely output along with durability. Owner is a 100% douche dirtbag but the stratos as subs perform well.

Owner's past aside just pure subwoofer experiences, Stratos before type R. Almost anything on the market now can beat the type R in terms of both sound quality and definitely output along with durability. Owner is a 100% douche dirtbag but the stratos as subs perform well.
would you say it would be better to get the sundown or the strato would be fine? Also what amps would I be looking at and alternator amperage?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.