System sounds like *** on music

ChucklezZ
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have two zv3 12's and an saz3500.

My electrical is a mechman 240 with ofc 0 gauge and a duracell g34 under the hood and a G31 in the back.

Where I think the problem lies is the box. It's a very well made box by boomsday, slot ported at 32hz. I listen to a lot of decaf and the subs play loud and sound great on tracks roughly 28-34 hz

I love that frequency but that's all it seems to play loud and deep. On MOST actual music the subs just sound muddy inaccurate. I'm sure my ssf and lpf are where they need to be.

This also wasn't a problem with my sa12 in a 2cf 34 hz box. It played a wide range welll and loud.

i had the same problem with my zv4, on low music decaf and such it was the shiznit, but on normal music, same thing... muddy and inaccurate. i decided to sell because of that and I've been told by numerous people they aren't musical subs, they are spl oriented purely.

i had the same problem with my zv4, on low music decaf and such it was the shiznit, but on normal music, same thing... muddy and inaccurate. i decided to sell because of that and I've been told by numerous people they aren't musical subs, they are spl oriented purely.
Who told you Zv4's were spl subs and not musical??

Well one person is talking z3 and another z4 and those subs are very different in any case. Neither are inherently inaccurate or non musical. The z4's are too accurate for their own good though and don't have enough top end bass to keep up with their low end in most cars, making them unmusical. The z3's are inherently higher distortion and a more "musical" sound as a result. Was the sundown SA facing a different direction? The way the sub loads in the cabin can make a big difference. Other than that download tones and track the problem down from there. The z3 does have a higher inductance and will slack a bit above 50hz, not as bad as many sub, but perhaps worse than your SA with a much smaller coil.

Who told you Zv4's were spl subs and not musical??
Well what kind of box makes them musical because I'm use to a ported box at 32-35hz sounding good musically as well as loud. I know my sa12 did. And Martin what subs did you get after that? I'm a sundown nuthugger so I'm doing whatever I can to get these to play a wider range.

Well what kind of box makes them musical because I'm use to a ported box at 32-35hz sounding good musically as well as loud. I know my sa12 did. And Martin what subs did you get after that? I'm a sundown nuthugger so I'm doing whatever I can to get these to play a wider range.
What's your box volume and port area?

well i went to a dayton HO for my truck which had the zv4 as i had to sell my electrical to get a new tranny. and i ended up putting an hds312 in my mazda. its in my sig

What's your box volume and port area?
this could be it too though. my port area was probably wrong. although like said before people, don't want to point fingers but from people with experience have said they can get muddy. my box was sub forward aeroport to side as it was a single cab truck

Do what? ive owned a lot of subwoofers and the zv4 is impressive on music. Sounds very goood. Must have been the box. mine is 3.8cf tuned to 29hz. I dont like leaving my car lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.