SUV Spare Tire Well Design

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I plan to put a subwoofer enclosure in it. I need some help on the best way to design it.

I was planning on removing the spare tire and placing the sub enclosure in the spare tire well under the cargo area and firing the sub upwards. For my car I still need the cargo space so this would mean I need to put something over the box and driver so I still have a cargo floor. I thought I would just build the box to fill the spare tire well and then put some type of rubber "feet" or "spacers" on the top of the box so the factory cargo floor piece could just sit on top of the box. I would leave a couple inches of clearance room for the driver to fire into the under side of the Cargo floor. Since the cargo floor will be elevated several inches from it's factory position I figure there will be plenty of space for the sound waves to radiate out into the cabin around the sides.

Does this sound like a good idea? Have you known people to do this with good results? Is it OK to fire them upwards into the bottom of the cargo floor a couple inches away?

How do people usually utilize the spare tire well?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.