Sundown spl surround efficiency?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Eggs

Does the spl surround make the their sub more efficient with distortion or is just mega roll have low Efficiency, distortion and heavy mass make it seem not as loud? So they put huge power to push them the limits to make distortion seem loud? People always ask does It still ”hit lows”

Not sure where distortion is entering into the topic of efficiency, but yes, those huge surrounds do sacrifice some efficiency. The good news is that the difference between cones/surrounds should be inaudible so if you're not competing it shouldn't make any difference for practical purposes.

"The BIGGEST difference is that our massive surrounds are heavy -- they are the single heaviest part in our moving assembly. So these surrounds will shave off MMS to get your FS up."

I’ve run both surrounds on the same subs with only difference being surround difference....the “fat” surrounds don’t tighten up over stroke so they don’t introduce any suspension induced distortion...the “SPL” surrounds tighten up over stroke causing FS to raise causing a favorable sound in upper frequency’s (which is suspension induced distortion) and the main reason most people think the fat surrounds aren’t loud in the upper frequencies...the only difference I experienced in testing is with the “Fat” surrounds I gained output in the lower frequency range and with the
”SPL” surrounds I lost output in the lower frequency range giving the impression that I had more output in the upper frequencies

Last edited:
I’ve run both surrounds on the same subs with only difference being surround difference....the “fat” surrounds don’t tighten up over stroke so they don’t introduce any suspension induced distortion...the “SPL” surrounds tighten up over stroke causing FS to raise causing a favorable sound in upper frequency’s (which is suspension induced distortion) and the main reason most people think the fat surrounds aren’t loud in the upper frequencies...the only difference I experienced in testing is with the “Fat” surrounds I gained output in the lower frequency range and with the
”SPL” surrounds I lost output in the lower frequency range giving the impression that I had more output in the upper frequencies

Did have the chance to run the run the Fat surround with Spl spiders or vice verse? Looking at a good daily efficient daily without needing giggawatts to get loud.Oh none of that chopped screw screw stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.