sundown SFB amplifiers

Quality amplifiers that do more then they are rated for. Not too mention 2 year warranty on all NIB and on B Stock they offer a 1 year warranty on Apex Car Audio which is right by them. They sell a ton of Sundown B Stock and they sell refurbished Sundown Subwoofers as well.

They used to be CAB but have been under new ownership for several months now. They have really improved that company.

They seem as good or better than the other full bridge amps on the market, and as mentioned you have Sundown warranty and support. I got a couple of the 8Ks and they perform very well. Do not run them below 1 ohm.

Have 2 8ks and my first impression wasn't fantastic. The output was all over the place, blew an amp in less than a month, and overall they don't sound as good as my scv 4k. Since then we played around with the eq and got the response sound 10 fold better. We also found that the reason we blew one of the 8k's was because the clipping indicator on the bass knob was broken out of the box. Sundown gave us a free replacement and everything is working properly. In conclusion, after proper tuning and with the right amount of care they can be really nice especially for the price. Without a doubt they are definitely not bullet proof like other sundown products and take a hit in the sound quality department.

I can't find any specs on these amps. I will say, from my extensive box designing and looking at amps for people for years and years, I tend to judge an amp by is dampening factor. I personally think this is the most overlooked stat that indicates the quality of an amp.

I can't find any specs on these amps. I will say, from my extensive box designing and looking at amps for people for years and years, I tend to judge an amp by is dampening factor. I personally think this is the most overlooked stat that indicates the quality of an amp.
The 13500 is nuts, almost surely worth the money regardless of their drawbacks. Please explain what you're talking about (dampening factor). It must be so overlooked I've never heard of it. Very interested

Like I've tuned boxes, especially when you start getting into the 1500-2000w+ range per woofer, that dampening factor really comes in. IIRC dampening factor is a capacitor stat. iirc. I may be wrong. Dampening factor determines the ability of the amp to control the movement of the woofer. The coil moving through the motor will cause electricity to be forced back into the amp through the speaker wires. That's where the capacitors come in iirc.

When you are playing low notes, especially below tuning frequency, or even high notes, dampening factor is what keeps your sub from destroying itself, to an extent. Higher dampening factor means less of a chance to bottom your woofer out.

Ok so if you have a sub, and you hook a small lightbulb up to it and push the cone up and down fast enough, it'll light the bulb up. Your coil moving through the magnets flux field is literally generating electricity, even though the coil is also using the amps electricity to move, So dampening factors determines how well the amp is able to absorb that energy being produced from the sub. The sub acts like a generator. Just like an alternator spinning around to push/pull electricity. The sub doesn't spin though, it just moves up and down. Like you took a jackhammer and hooked it up to the cone of the sub and bounced the coil in and out of the motor, it would generate electricity.

The way you describe it sounds like a measure of the amps ability to handle back emf produced by the coils interacting with the magnet during oprleration? Sound right?

Not EMF's but actual electricity. EMF's are transverse waves. Transverse waves are a byproduct of longitudinal waves. AC current is a pulsating longitudinal wave. Transverse waves propagate at a 90 degree angle from the direction of the source of the disturbance, where as longitudinal waves both move and emit energy in the same direction.

Not EMF's but actual electricity. EMF's are transverse waves. Transverse waves are a byproduct of longitudinal waves. AC current is a pulsating longitudinal wave. Transverse waves propagate at a 90 degree angle from the direction of the source of the disturbance, where as longitudinal waves both move and emit energy in the same direction.

I gotcha, sorry I shouldn't have used terms from my line of work. Back emf is a term used to explain what you're saying except in my line of work its used to talk about when motors create back voltage (emf) while running. Regardless i totally get what your saying and will start looking for that stat. Thank you
Just read your last post. I see the difference, although my understanding of back emf helps me understand the concept. Once again, thank you for the knowledge

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.