Sundown Sa12 questions

How much power do you think you have?... I think 68in2-81in2 of port (dependent on power) tuned just a little lower, and maybe just a little smaller... (at 5ft3 net or just under) is gonna closer to what you probably need. Are you set on a 35hz tune? Personally I'd shoot for 4.5ft3 net, 68in2-72in2 of port tuned to 32-33hz... but that's me.
So you don’t think those specs would work? That was what a local car audio shop helped me come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, it'll work, lol, you'll be fine with that one if it'll fit... On your power, you should be fine... but like I said... PERSONALLY I like a lower tune... just me I guess.

This is how the response looks in Winisd Btw...

wpXB3t.jpg

Ought to get loud... me?.. I like the peak around mid 30's or so

Kinda big at 5.11ft3 but it'll work fine... good luck

If you ever get near rated power someday... I'd look at the SSF setting depending on what type it is. At rated power, the X-max looks to be an issue at 30.5hz, but looks ok till around 28hz on your power.

Good luck

Sure, it'll work, lol, you'll be fine with that one if it'll fit... On your power, you should be fine... but like I said... PERSONALLY I like a lower tune... just me I guess.

wpXB3t.jpg

If you ever get near rated power someday... I'd look at the SSF setting depending on what type it is. At rated power, the X-max looks to be an issue at 30.5hz, but looks ok till around 28hz on your power.

Good luck
I sure do appreciate it! And how can I get it lower? Lengthen my port??

wpXB3t.jpg

Good luck
Also another question, I believe that last pic I posted said something about “ port bends” what if I planned to keep it straight?

Use the "physical port length " to get your overall length with a bend. That's the inside port wall pieces... and, yes lengthening the port lowers the tune but also changes volume... play around in Torres and you'll see.

Really helps to understand the difference between 1, 2 or 3 common walls

Did you understand the difference?

Use the "physical port length " to get your overall length with a bend. That's the inside port wall pieces... and, yes lengthening the port lowers the tune but also changes volume... play around in Torres and you'll see. Really helps to understand the difference between 1, 2 or 3 common walls

Did you understand the difference?
Tbh. No not 100%

I'll check but that kerf should raise tuning, but you got volume to use. IIRC it's 1/2 the radius front to rear for length on a flare. Probably is tuned 36-37hz.

Not sure you'll even notice except the under 30hz stuff.

I'll check but that kerf should raise tuning, but you got volume to use. IIRC it's 1/2 the radius front to rear for length on a flare. Probably is tuned 36-37hz.
Shredder can you give me a phone call? I got a ton of questions

And what do you recommend to lower the tuning to about 30-32 hz? I don’t have any of the programs

Without rechecking volume... it looks like that kerf will put port length 24"ish, and quick and dirty Winisd says that that's a 38hz tune in a 5ft3 enclosure

jxrnZX.jpg

Big peak at about 41.5hz too... +8.5db

Take a 26" piece (port wall) and kerf both ends, then it'll be even shorter IIRC, I don't do kerfs for this reason... PITA

Without rechecking volume... it looks like that kerf will put port length 24"ish, and quick and dirty Winisd says that that's a 38hz tune in a 5ft3 enclosure
jxrnZX.jpg

Big peak at about 41.5hz too... +8.5db

Take a 26" piece (port wall) and kerf both ends, then it'll be even shorter IIRC, I don't do kerfs for this reason... PITA
So should I just leave the port a sharp corner? At around 27-28 inches?

So should I just leave the port a sharp corner? At around 27-28 inches?
Are you married to the idea of a Kerf? Lotsa discussion on whether there's any real benefit as the efficiency is all about the ratio of wall for the amount of port area. An aero has the best efficiency (least wall to port area + flare to minimize possible port noise), then round, octoport, square, then slot port. You have what, 87in2 of port area figured?.. I'd say you got any port noise just about buried for good... that's a TON of port area. IMO unless you have close to absolute minimum port area for your power, then a kerf could be used to possibly minimize the possibility of port noise. Otherwise I feel that a basic 3/8" or similar roundover with a router will be fine. Sure looks good when done correctly and doin' a kerf throughout the length (if bends are present) might increase efficiency somewhat, probably does, but I've heard so many claims that I digress... lol... for anything I do designs for I try to keep it as simple as possible, people do the d*mdest things! I've seen people use the wrong thickness of material, try to re-size it for their vehicle as their measurements were off or just cant read a tape... etc. Looks like you probably are comfortable doin' this so "NIKE" it! I'd try to increase the "effective" port length a few inches (my personal taste in tuning... that's all).

I played around with it and I guess I was incorrect... looks like it'll be around 26" long if that's how the measurements work out for you below...

kxJ6Vp.jpg

What a PITA, that's why I don't do these... but once or twice for my own stuff maybe someday... but otherwise NO... lol

Best guess I got is a 37hz tune in 5ft3 net... good luck

Are you married to the idea of a Kerf? Lotsa discussion on whether there's any real benefit as the efficiency is all about the ratio of wall for the amount of port area. An aero has the best efficiency (least wall to port area + flare to minimize possible port noise), then round, octoport, square, then slot port. You have what, 87in2 of port area figured?.. I'd say you got any port noise just about buried for good... that's a TON of port area. IMO unless you have close to absolute minimum port area for your power, then a kerf could be used to possibly minimize the possibility of port noise. Otherwise I feel that a basic 3/8" or similar roundover with a router will be fine. Sure looks good when done correctly and doin' a kerf throughout the length (if bends are present) might increase efficiency somewhat, probably does, but I've heard so many claims that I digress... lol... for anything I do designs for I try to keep it as simple as possible, people do the d*mdest things! I've seen people use the wrong thickness of material, try to re-size it for their vehicle as their measurements were off or just cant read a tape... etc. Looks like you probably are comfortable doin' this so "NIKE" it! I'd try to increase the "effective" port length a few inches (my personal taste in tuning... that's all).
I played around with it and I guess I was incorrect... looks like it'll be around 26" long if that's how the measurements work out for you below...

kxJ6Vp.jpg

What a PITA, that's why I don't do these... but once or twice for my own stuff maybe someday... but otherwise NO... lol

Best guess I got is a 37hz tune in 5ft3 net... good luck
So if I got rid of the kerf and straightened it out to sharp edges and made it a slot port, what would that put my tuning at? Trying to hit that 32 mark

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JobtownS

JobtownS
Columbia, S.C.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Smith777