Sundown SA-12

Magnum099

I am looking to get a new subwoofer for my daily driver, and I am leaning towards getting one SA-12. I have a couple of questions though, mainly for people who have experience with the Sundowns.

1) Ported or Sealed? I know ported is generally the choice for the Sundowns, but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with them sealed. I like the bass punchy and tight, but I also want it loud.

2) What amplifier? My budget for an amp is $200 or less preferably. I don't want to go over 700 watts though. I was looking at the Alpine MRP-M500, Pioneer GM-D8601, and the Rockford Fosgate R500X1D. All of these put at 500 watts rms at 2 ohms though, and I wasn't sure if that would be enough since the sub is rated at 600 watts rms.

3) Would it overpower my mids and highs? I have Rockford Fosgate Prime speakers with an Alpine 4 channel amp pushing 40 watts rms per channel right now. Would I need to consider an upgrade, or would it matter?

Any input is appreciated. I am open to other suggestions for subs though, as long as they are around 400-600 watts rms.

Thanks!

I can't do 1000 watts. The wiring is 4 gauge and I don't want to have to get a upgraded alternator. Should I consider a different sub? I want to run between 400 and 600 watts rms to the sub.

I can't do 1000 watts. The wiring is 4 gauge and I don't want to have to get a upgraded alternator. Should I consider a different sub? I want to run between 400 and 600 watts rms to the sub.
For a 1K system, you should be fine with a decent 4 ga wire - and a H/O alternator definitely isn't mandatory.

For the box I would go ported, and you can just tune it a little higher. As for the amp, the AudioTechnix amp listed above would be a good choice. For electrical I would just get a decent agm battery, do the big 3, and get 4 gauge for your amps.

What would be the advantage of getting the AudioTechnix amp over the ones I listed? The ones I listed put out 500 watts rms whereas the AudioTechnix only puts out 400.

just depends on your sub. If you get a dual 4 ohm sub, you can wire it down to 2 ohms and the amps you listed would be good.

The Pioneer 8601 amp is not good if you are running ported due to it not having a subsonic filter. Running sealed on that amp is recommended.

If you get a dual 2 ohm sub, the Audio Technix puts out ~600rms at 1 ohm which would be perfect for that sub

I would go with a sound qubed 750.1.. Get a dual 2 sa12wire that bish to 1 ohm and tune it at 32.. Also keep the box around. 2 cubes after displacement, if not 1.75

Im a newbie to car audio so take this for what its worth but i just installed a sundown sd-2 12d4 (shallow mount version of the sa) and an Alpine 500 amp wire at 2ohms. I got the amp off amazon for $120! I dont have much space in the truck so its in a .96 sealed box. The setup Jams. not really rattling bass but loud clean sounding bass!

P.S I learned the hard way..set your gain right first thing and dont use a bass knob usless its really turned right..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.