Blew 2 L7s within a hour

Turn your bass boost all the way down, take your bass knob and throw it in the garbage and don't ever use one again. You are sending a distorted signal to the subs and frying them. Most bass knobs adjust the bass boost, they are garbage. Lastly, have someone who knows what they are doing set your gains properly

Turn your bass boost all the way down, take your bass knob and throw it in the garbage and don't ever use one again. You are sending a distorted signal to the subs and frying them. Most bass knobs adjust the bass boost, they are garbage. Lastly, have someone who knows what they are doing set your gains properly
Ok will do I kinda figured it had something to do with that bass knob and yea I'll take it to an audio shop in the morning to let themset the amp up

There is nothing wrong with a bass knob if you set the amp correctly. If OP sets his gains with the bass knob plugged in and turned all the way up he will have no problems, other than using a VERY low quality amp that will not do rated power and questionable quality subs. Bass knobs are very useful if set up properly, there was a thread about this recently. I suggest taking a look at it.

There is nothing wrong with a bass knob if you set the amp correctly. If OP sets his gains with the bass knob plugged in and turned all the way up he will have no problems, other than using a VERY low quality amp that will not do rated power and questionable quality subs. Bass knobs are very useful if set up properly, there was a thread about this recently. I suggest taking a look at it.
Only if your bass knob adjusts the GAIN, if your bass knob adjusts the BASS BOOST, then either way it is trash. No matter how you look at it, if your knob is adjusting your bass boost, garbage can. The bass boost is just distortion.

i agree with the knob being garbage. Most knobs i come across always induces some form of distortion even if its the volume/gain knob. I always get a cleaner, louder signal without the knob in the system.

OP when you go to the shop, make sure they use an Oscilloscope or an SMD-DD1 to tune your system if possible. Make sure your head unit's equalization is set to flat, Bass is at 0, subwoofer level is at max or close to max, LPF at 80. You could have been clipping the signal with your head unit, or your amp's settings or BOTH. Read up on clipping in detail so you learn how to avoid it. Because 2 L7s is a hefty price tag for a lesson learnt. Also buy better subs then kickers... they are pretty weak in the durability department.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.