sundown amp high pitch noise

robertoyoung08
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area, ca
killing my ears!

this amp is brand **** new. and when i hook up the rcas to it, i get an extremely loud annoying and painful high pitch. disconnect, and high pitch goes away.

wth could it be? i had a used one that did the same, so i got it replaced with a new one, now i got the same issue. i dotn get it. its my first sundown, is there something i gota do with this **** thing or wtf do i gota do to make my **** first sundown work.

its NOT alt noise, or engine noise. noise is consistent with car on or off and stays the same volume (pretty **** loud and painful)

Sounds to me like its your RCA's. What brand are they? They could be picking up noise and pushing it through the speakers. Anyone else agree?
idk, ive tried two separate rcas cables now. ran them outside the car also and still getting the noise.

my rcas for my full range r the exact same, fosgates. their not the best, but my full range ones are fine, and even with a different set ran outside the car, the noise is still there.

i was so excited about getting this thing in since i just built a new box with new subs, and looks like i wont be able to get it in!! =(

im not having the best experience with sundown amps

Do you have a Pioneer headunit?
nope. using a loc.

just tested my old clarion, the one the sundown was suposed to replace. same connections, same rcas. ran smoothly, quietely and bassy.

im starting to think, **** sundown. two in a row with the same problem? come on.

I hope its not a common problem to sundown amps. Im supposed to get mine in the mail soonish so I hope I dont get the same problem >
lol i hope its not either.

this is the second sundown i have with this problem. i got a used sundown from the classfields here.. i had the high pitch problem and i figured it was some conenction.. so i :

tested things and nope.

then figured rcas and nope.

put my old amp back in place and everything was good.

called jacob at sundown and since that was my first sundown product ever he agreed to replace it for a brand new one.

now i get this brand new on and same ****. i:

went through same process. tested connections.. still high pitch noise

hooked up my prior clarion amp.. and clean sound.. sounds like a sundown problem

lol i hope its not either.this is the second sundown i have with this problem. i got a used sundown from the classfields here.. i had the high pitch problem and i figured it was some conenction.. so i :

tested things and nope.

called jacob at sundown and since that was my first sundown product ever he agreed to replace it for a brand new one.

hooked up my prior clarion amp.. and clean sound.. sounds like a sundown problem
i highly doubt that

Last edited by a moderator:
lol i hope its not either.this is the second sundown i have with this problem. i got a used sundown from the classfields here.. i had the high pitch problem and i figured it was some conenction.. so i :

tested things and nope.

Try calling him again and let me know what he says. If I have this problem when I get mine I hope he'll be so willing as he was with you to get one thats working

BS, i HAD THAT PROBLEM ONCE AND i DON'T OWN A SUNDOWN. I have soundstream equip. The reason it does that is because that is a very loose or improperly grounded connection. It is kinda like a engine whine. You should start by pulling everything and making sure that your GROUNDING spot int the trunk is a solid connection. bare metal exsposed before you srew the grounding point down... RCA need to be OPPISITE of the BAT, GROUND, REMOTE. RCA need to have alot of SHIELDING and plenty of headroom so you are not stretching the them. but you dont want to have more than a foot of rca from point headunit to amp left over. The GROUND wire should be less than 3 feet amp to car grounding point in the trunk. Also make sure you have the correct gauge power and ground wire. It you stilll have issues the other thing is you run a small ground point from the deck to amp location for the RCAs some RCAs have this wire already intergrated in the design. This should work. If it dont, then maybe sundown issues. but I doubt that. otherwise they would not be a highly recomended amp here on the forum... not by me anyways...

im not trying to talk **** about sundown audio.

its a brand new amp, why wouldnt i want it to work?

il definitely try to reground it, but idk if that will fix it, the ground i used on the sundown was the same as the one i used on my clarion and it worked fine on the clarion but not the sundown.

or are sundowns more "delicate" about their installs? lol

anyways, if i can get this amp to work, id be really happy. its my first sundown, i spent money on it, why wouldn ti want it it work? thanks to it not working i cant get my new box/subs in my car

=(

come on, give me some help! i hope someone with a sundown has an answer for me. id like to get all this **** straightened out this weekend.

BS, i HAD THAT PROBLEM ONCE AND i DON'T OWN A SUNDOWN. I have soundstream equip. The reason it does that is because that is a very loose or improperly grounded connection. It is kinda like a engine whine. You should start by pulling everything and making sure that your GROUNDING spot int the trunk is a solid connection. bare metal exsposed before you srew the grounding point down... RCA need to be OPPISITE of the BAT, GROUND, REMOTE. RCA need to have alot of SHIELDING and plenty of headroom so you are not stretching the them. but you dont want to have more than a foot of rca from point headunit to amp left over. The GROUND wire should be less than 3 feet amp to car grounding point in the trunk. Also make sure you have the correct gauge power and ground wire. It you stilll have issues the other thing is you run a small ground point from the deck to amp location for the RCAs some RCAs have this wire already intergrated in the design. This should work. If it dont, then maybe sundown issues. but I doubt that. otherwise they would not be a highly recomended amp here on the forum... not by me anyways...

thanks for the advice. im not trying to hate on sundown. i want it to work, im just saying if its two sundowns in a row, wth, makes me think its sundown. sure hope not. il try what you said, definitely worth a try, but all the steps you gave me sound like prosedures to elminate or avoid alt whine.

if the exact same connections and set up worked with my clarion, why arent they working with my sundown?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

robertoyoung08

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
robertoyoung08
bay area, ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies