Subwoofer Tinsel Leads / Ratings, etc

Eviljacket

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Syracuse, NY
So I’m new to the build scene, ******* loving it btw lol, and I’m sewing my own leads for my Type-X’s I’m recoiling, I have a 2 diff sizes but would like to go with flat, so I had a question regarding power rating, the 3.5mm flat braided is said to be rated at 400w RMS by LoB, will that double if I double them up? And if the coil is rated at 1,500w RMS and each lead is doubled up 400w would that make make them sufficient @800w? My thinking is 400x2 (each lead wire) x4 (2 sets for dual voice coil) so that would be 800w x2 coils, should handle 1,600w RMS? My thinking sound? I’m going off 400w per coil, not lead. Is that how tinsel leads work? Can I double rating by doubling them up? Pics posted is my single lead before realizing I better check rating, then doubled leads before heat shrink bending, last set is some thick *** 4500w+ round but I want to go flat and dont want to wait for bigger flat to be shipped. But ya lmk, thx guys.

Attachments

Last edited:

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Yep it's official I'm about to break my cock off in you ***

Eviljacket

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Syracuse, NY
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dude what is your problem? You still caught up on the Biden/Harris post? Fr lol what’s the deal?

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

Eviljacket

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Syracuse, NY
You lost me there
Ok cool, lol cuz I was gona say man.

Seriously tho can you double up leads? I know it may seem straight forward and a no brainer but assuming don’t always work out so trying to get the technical, I also asked for max rating on the leads but LoB said he don’t use Max ratings on any of his equipment he sells. Trying to get into the technical knowledge side of rebuilding.

Edit: wow auto-corrupt ******* me up

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Ok cool, lol cuz I was gona say man.

Seriously tho can you double up leads? I know it may seem straight forward and a no brainer but assuming don’t always work out so trying to get the technical, I also asked for max rating on the leads but LoB said he don’t use Max ratings on any of his equipment he sells. Trying to get into the technical knowledge side of rebuilding.

Edit: wow auto-corrupt ******* me up
Oh know by that I meant eat shit and die. Wtf you talking about

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
F*CK b*tch

Eviljacket

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Syracuse, NY
Dude what? You acting like a weirdo man, seriously why the hardon for me ...lol. Maybe step away from the computer some? Literally the reason why so many say the car audio community is now inflected toxic with this weirdo shit.

Anyone else with any insight into tinsel leads and their rating?

OneonOne

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 25, 2021
PA
If you double them up, you will double the power rating. It will also work perfectly fine with dual sewn in leads running 1500w rms.

Reactions: Eviljacket

adulbrich

Lock up your grandmothers!
5,000+ posts
May 11, 2014
Ames, Iowa
I would go by the lowest power handling component. If your coil is rated for 1500 watts, and you have stacked tinsel leads that could handle 1600 watts, I would say your power handling capacity would still be 1500 watts. That being said, 100 watts isn't a huge difference.

Reactions: Eviljacket

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds