Subwoofer Tinsel Leads / Ratings, etc

Participant count
  • Participants list

Eviljacket

CarAudio.com Recruit
So I’m new to the build scene, ******* loving it btw lol, and I’m sewing my own leads for my Type-X’s I’m recoiling, I have a 2 diff sizes but would like to go with flat, so I had a question regarding power rating, the 3.5mm flat braided is said to be rated at 400w RMS by LoB, will that double if I double them up? And if the coil is rated at 1,500w RMS and each lead is doubled up 400w would that make make them sufficient @800w? My thinking is 400x2 (each lead wire) x4 (2 sets for dual voice coil) so that would be 800w x2 coils, should handle 1,600w RMS? My thinking sound? I’m going off 400w per coil, not lead. Is that how tinsel leads work? Can I double rating by doubling them up? Pics posted is my single lead before realizing I better check rating, then doubled leads before heat shrink bending, last set is some thick ass 4500w+ round but I want to go flat and dont want to wait for bigger flat to be shipped. But ya lmk, thx guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
You lost me there
Ok cool, lol cuz I was gona say man.

Seriously tho can you double up leads? I know it may seem straight forward and a no brainer but assuming don’t always work out so trying to get the technical, I also asked for max rating on the leads but LoB said he don’t use Max ratings on any of his equipment he sells. Trying to get into the technical knowledge side of rebuilding.

Edit: wow auto-corrupt ******* me up

Ok cool, lol cuz I was gona say man.

Seriously tho can you double up leads? I know it may seem straight forward and a no brainer but assuming don’t always work out so trying to get the technical, I also asked for max rating on the leads but LoB said he don’t use Max ratings on any of his equipment he sells. Trying to get into the technical knowledge side of rebuilding.

Edit: wow auto-corrupt ******* me up
Oh know by that I meant eat **** and die. Wtf you talking about

Dude what? You acting like a weirdo man, seriously why the hardon for me ...lol. Maybe step away from the computer some? Literally the reason why so many say the car audio community is now inflected toxic with this weirdo ****.

Anyone else with any insight into tinsel leads and their rating?

I would go by the lowest power handling component. If your coil is rated for 1500 watts, and you have stacked tinsel leads that could handle 1600 watts, I would say your power handling capacity would still be 1500 watts. That being said, 100 watts isn't a huge difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...