subwoofer road noise help

Participant count
  • Participants list

avidrine

Forgive me for not knowing much. For christmas i bought myself (2) Rockford Fosgate T0D215 Power T0 DVC 2 Ohm 15-Inch 550 Watts RMS 1100 Watts Peak Subwoofer powered with Rockford Fosgate P1000X4D 1000 Watt Class D 4 Channel Amplifier. I have them in a dual box in my trunk.

I had everything installed here where i live and i do not think they did a good job. After installation i get loud road noise coming from my subwoofers. the only time the noise cuts out is when i get on the interstate 70+mph. i brought i back and they put some kind of filter and told me that it would fix the problem. Well it didnt. I would have to turn my knob all the way to full blast to get anything out of my subs with the filter on AND i still got road noise. So i poopped my trunk open and took the filter off myself.

I Brought it back and now they told me there is absolutely nothing i can do because its my factory radio thats causing the problem. I have a 2010 accord.

Im not a rocket scientist but i know there HAS TO BE A WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM

Any input on how i can fix this problem?

pics?

RCA routing won't cause noise.

likely, you have a few things going.

first, why do you have a 4 channel amp driving subs? a monoblock amp should have been used.

how are the speakers wired to the amp? i assume one coil to each channel or coils in series to amp channels bridged. regardless, that is the wrong tool for the job.

second, i assume they used a line output converter (LOC) that connects between the rear deck speakers and the amp RCA inputs. the make/model of the LOC is important. if there is no LOC, then that is one problem because the amp doesn't have high level inputs (though it can accept an 11V input). the noise is caused from a signal ground issue. a proper LOC will prevent this.

the amp controls should be set to 2 channel input (most likely). for now, pull the fuse at the battery to shut the amp off until we sort this out. if it doesn't sound right, then damage is possible.

next, take detailed pictures of everything they did. connections at the factory speaker wires, at the amp, and take a pic of where all of the controls are set (or tell us).

I recommend this basic LOC

N-RHL2 - BEST LOC IN THE WORLD!! - $24.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

or you can get a nicer piece that also does bass correction - Audio Control is a good source and their LC2i is a nice piece

LC2i 2ch Line Out Converter with AccuBASS™ and Subwoofer Control

either of these will give you the proper interface between car and amp.

lastly, they likely screwed the amp to the back seat metal. attaching an amp directly to car metal can induce a ground loop. i always mount amps to wood then secure wood to metal. carpet the wood to make it look good.

Active noise cancellation. I had this same problem in my current car and my 08 accord coupe. That is what it probably is. Disconnect the mic for it and see if it stops

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.