Subwoofer reading

tiny7414

CarAudio.com Newbie
Can a dual 4ohm subwoofer read 2.9 on the multimeter? Or does it mean it’s blown there is no resistance from my meter it reads out right so I want to know if my sundown audio u serious dual 4 is blown when reading it nominally it says 4 ohms any ideas here or in site would be helpful

You had me at sundown. Am I wrong, or does sundown seem to have the most blown sub coils out of everyone? (at least top 5 or 3?)

What do you mean "there is no resistance from my meter" ? You're not getting any resistance, (open line), or your meter can't read resistance, (a $6 meter can read resistance).
If it a DVC, then take it out, and check each coil.

Last edited:
You had me at sundown. Am I wrong, or does sundown seem to have the most blown sub coils out of everyone? (at least top 5 or 3?)

What do you mean "there is no resistance from my meter" ? You're not getting any resistance, (open line), or your meter can't read resistance, (a $6 meter can read resistance).
If it a DVC, then take it out, and check each coil.
I think it’s more like so many people have sundown that it appears that way. Any brand that has reached serious mainstream popularity, such as sundown, has a lot of people owning those woofers who don’t know what they’re doing with sound, as well. At least with their higher end woofers, I’ve seen some of those subs take incredible amounts of power. I’ve had customers who have nightshades, where one of the customers would bottom out the subs with far beyond rms ratings types of power, but the coil didn’t blow, so the woofer bottomed out in the correct size box. The power those nightshades were given was extremely clean, though.

I personally think Jacob might be one of the most talented people in audio, especially on the subwoofer side.

Can a dual 4ohm subwoofer read 2.9 on the multimeter? Or does it mean it’s blown there is no resistance from my meter it reads out right so I want to know if my sundown audio u serious dual 4 is blown when reading it nominally it says 4 ohms any ideas here or in site would be helpful
What’s the specific issue or reason that you think your sub might be blown or damaged?

Last edited:
Subwoofers are rated for impedance. You are measuring resistance. If it sounds ok, it is probably ok.

Re is DC:

“Measured in ohms (Ω), this is the DC resistance (DCR) of the voice coil, best measured with the cone blocked, or prevented from moving or vibrating because otherwise the pickup of ambient sounds can cause the measurement to be unreliable. Re should not be confused with the rated driver impedance, Re can be tightly controlled by the manufacturer, while rated impedance values are often approximate at best.”

I have “8 ohm” impedance towers that read 4 ohms or so DC-wise.

Last edited:
2.9 is not an uncommon (Re) DCR reading for a 4-ohm driver. On the low side but well within what would be considered well with the norm. If your speaker is blown and you set the MM to ohms, it will read infinite, not 2.9.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...