Subwoofer "Rattle"...

Heathen

CarAudio.com Recruit
Auckland
Hallo's.

I've just bought an old Subwoofer.

I'm discovering that it was cheap for a reason!

One wire has pulled from the voice coil, but I've repaired that and the resistance reads the same as the other coil.

Now...when I tap lightly on the top part of the cone/face there is a slight rattle. No sound when I do the same on the bottom, left or right hand part of the face. If I evenly press down on the entire cone there is no sound (scratching, rattling etc). The voice coils both read a resistance as expected.

Have not tried to apply music through it yet, but any ideas so far?

Does it rattle when you tap the center of the sub? If not, then you are good. It rattles because you are misaligning the cone a bit when tapped on "top". I suspect that sub was dropped at some point and set the motor a bit off center. Since it does not rub when manually pistoned, I think it should be ok.

Thanks so much for the more experienced opinion.

I hope you're right as it would be a waste of money otherwise, and I really like the specs of this little sub.

I've just switched cars and am yet to install a sounds system in new vehicle.

I've got an amp that I can wire to a car battery in my garage. Would I be able to use the RCA output on my home stereo as a musical signal to the amp?

With what? I wouldn't bet on whatever this is surviving much longer.

One end was still attached to the cone, the other was still attached to the terminal. It was severed/crushed in between. They had made a crude attempt at repair with a bulky crimp, but the wire had since been pulled out.

I removed the crimp, stripped the insulation back a little, splayed the strands and tried to gently intertwine. Then I put a drop of flux and soaked in some solder. I've also put a decent heatshrink put over the wound.

Primitive attempt, but it would defeat the purpose of finding a cheap stand-in sub if I were to pay for a pro repair.

Hopefully it will hold up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.