Subwoofer postitioning in my Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'm planning on building a sealed box for my SSA G-CON 15. Before I plan the box I need to figure out which way a want to face the woofer and where I want to put the box in my trunk. My Jeep is an SUV obviously and therefore doesn't have a separated trunk. From what I gather, my best option is to have the woofer toward the liftgate and very close to the liftgate. It would be most convenient for me to place it flush with the back seats so I have space. It would also be cool to put my driver side back seat down and have the woofer fire toward me, but in another thread I was told that wouldn't sound good unless I had the box sealed off from the space behind it. Also I want to avoid rattling (I plan on getting Dynamat at a later date). Any help will be appreciated

View attachment 26555092

Also in regards to this picture, are there only 3 ways to properly place a sub for optimal SQ?

View attachment 26555093

I actually do Bad © position in my 1996 Impala SS, but with my subs pointed towards the rear, so it's more like Good (b)......sounds fantastic and produces the highest DB of all the positions i tested.

I actually do Bad © position in my 1996 Impala SS, but with my subs pointed towards the rear, so it's more like Good (b)......sounds fantastic and produces the highest DB of all the positions i tested.
then its not bad if you point it to the rear, it'll be the same as position B good.

Honestly Id much rather have better SQ than SPL for this setup, so I wanna find out what orientation is best for that, also thanks for being so active and responsive Jeff, I know it seems like i'm an idiot but i'm learning a lot. I want to make sure I learn everything I need to know before I commit time and resources to this

Honestly Id much rather have better SQ than SPL for this setup, so I wanna find out what orientation is best for that, also thanks for being so active and responsive Jeff, I know it seems like i'm an idiot but i'm learning a lot. I want to make sure I learn everything I need to know before I commit time and resources to this
Phasing is not just for spl, its very SQ oriented, has to do a lot with how quick and responsive your sub is along with not having any cancellation which may lead to having a hole in your bass spectrum. Might not look like it but some of us are into SQ, we just have a big system for comps but on the daily, its all about the SQ. Worst thing to happen is when you play double bass pedals with rock or metal and the bass feels a bit off beat, it'll happen with poor sub positioning. The best positions will improve both SPL and SQ. Poor positioning will make you lose both SPL and SQ, the two go hand in hand. Always good to have more output than needed as well, you can always use your head unit to turn down the sub level so it blends with your mids, this will keep your equipment lasting very long since its hardly lifting a finger vs other people with not enough having their setup overstressed just to keep up.

Agreed, I think I'm gunna just build the box with a height and width of like 16-18 inches and just have the box really deep so the woofer is very close to and facing the trunk lid

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.