How much wattage can a stock subwoofer box handle?

Participant count
  • Participant list

imsickofweed

Senior VIP Member
I have a 2002 Ford Escape with a 07 Escape 8" subwoofer box. Its made of black abs plastic about 1/4" thick and is 0.35 ft3. Top mount depth is 3 3/4" and my sub channel on my Alpine PDX-V9 is 500w. Im looking for a sub that can fit there and be able to handle as much power as possible up to my limit. The only thing that Ive been able to find is a Kicker compRT 8". The 2013 version advertises 400w RMS, but the bewer versions only say 300w. Would my stock box be able to handle 500w or even 300w? The box is relatively rigid, but I can flex it by putting some weight with my hand on it. Im not really sure how to stiffen it properly, but Im guessing fiberglass is involved. It would be easier to buy a built box and go that route, but I haul things all the time in the back and Im going for more of a stock look and want to be stealth. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Plastic is not an ideal enclosure. 3/4 inch MDF would be better. I'd say you can go up to 1,000 watts and be fine with most vehicles and doing "The big three" with larger wire than stock.

Don't buy Kicker.

Look at the Sundown SD 8

Sundown Audio SD 2 8 D4 8" Slim Mount Sub Dual 4 Ohms Shallow Bass Subwoofer | eBay

DSC05803_zpsb7b726cd.jpg

I don't really want to buy kicker, but they make the highest RMS rated sub that is less than 3 3/4" top mount depth. Ive looked at those sundowns but they are too tall to fit in the box. I also know plastic isnt ideal, but I want to stay stealth and that box is molded to the fenderwell and the panel fits over it. I could probably mount some dowls inside the box and put a coat or 2 of fiberglass on the inside and outside. Ive never done any fiberglassing before, but I watched a lot of videos. I was considering a completely custom box, but I dont think Im up for that kind of fiberglassing yet.

Theres a little wiggle room with a top mounted ring, but not much. The interior panel fits close to the stock woofer grill and any decent sub would likely hit the panel.

I don't really want to buy kicker, but they make the highest RMS rated sub that is less than 3 3/4" top mount depth. Ive looked at those sundowns but they are too tall to fit in the box. I also know plastic isnt ideal, but I want to stay stealth and that box is molded to the fenderwell and the panel fits over it. I could probably mount some dowls inside the box and put a coat or 2 of fiberglass on the inside and outside. Ive never done any fiberglassing before, but I watched a lot of videos. I was considering a completely custom box, but I dont think Im up for that kind of fiberglassing yet.
It says he depth is 4.28", but maybe that is undermount because it looks pretty shallow.

I just started a build log and I hope everyone will come check it out. I have a few threads going, but they all pertain to my build. I have a link in the signature.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.