Subwoofer positioning

so am i fine with my setup? i think sq is good...i have holes in the trunk though covered up by speakers grills...(i just took out the speakers)

so am i fine with my setup? i think sq is good...i have holes in the trunk though covered up by speakers grills...(i just took out the speakers)
best to move everything around and see what works best.

but actually yes, that is a great way to set everything up... if there was anything I'd say try, it would be to fire the port/sub to the drivers side and push the box all th way over to the passenger side... sometimes that helps alot.

i have a sedan with folding rear seats as well with an opening to the cabin and what you could do is just screw a piece of mdf/particle board to the opening of the back seat like i did and mount your amps on that...i carpeted it to make it look more presentable and cleaner. works wonders and looks clean.

only problem is if you need to make any adjsutments to your amps you will have to move your box around, but it wont really be a nusance to you since you only have a 12. i have a 15 in a poted box so its a b*tch sometimes..also, the opening to the cabin will be blocked off by the peice of mdf/particle board, but i never used it anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif .

i have a sedan with folding rear seats as well with an opening to the cabin and what you could do is just screw a piece of mdf/particle board to the opening of the back seat like i did and mount your amps on that...i carpeted it to make it look more presentable and cleaner. works wonders and looks clean.
only problem is if you need to make any adjsutments to your amps you will have to move your box around, but it wont really be a nusance to you since you only have a 12. i have a 15 in a poted box so its a b*tch sometimes..also, the opening to the cabin will be blocked off by the peice of mdf/particle board, but i never used it anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif .
Why would you block air from coming into the cabin....?

just mount the amps to the fold down area of your seat, easiest way.

Why would you block air from coming into the cabin....?
its not completely sealed or anything, man. the opening is still large enough to where i can stick my hand through...besides, i took out my rear-fill and im sure you know that isnt sealed off from the trunk.

just mount the amps to the fold down area of your seat, easiest way.
sigh...thats the whole reason i made the mountable surface. do you think i wouldve made that thing if my amps fit on the back seats??

...my bx1500d barely fit on there.

my rear seats dont even fold down...i have to take the seats off..and thats *****...

but ill do what i can..i think those holes in the rear speaker area will help though..so we'll see

thanks for all the input guys

It should be fine. That is a common way to do it, and *typically* gives good to best results.

Only way to find out if you like that position best is to move it around and play with it. Asking on an internet forum isn't going to get you your answer. This is one of those things where you just have to get your hands dirty to find out the *true* answer.

But yes, you are presently fine.

best to move everything around and see what works best.
but actually yes, that is a great way to set everything up... if there was anything I'd say try, it would be to fire the port/sub to the drivers side and push the box all th way over to the passenger side... sometimes that helps alot.
So instead of sub and port facing tail lights you suggest the sub and port facing the drivers side???

the waves are no more "direct" than if used properly rear firing
How can you say the waves are no more direct when firing them subs straight at you, versus bouncing them off the rear walls? Bouncing them off a wall will inheritantly give more wave reflection, ending in cancellation and reinforcement, something not friendly to accurately sound reproduction.
and no, i disagree with facing the subs at you sounding better. We arent talking about tweeters here... we are talking about non-localized (hopefully in an SQ setup!!!) low frequency waves.
No, we aren't talking about tweeters, so? Just because bass is 'omnidirectional' does not mean placing the sub anywhere is fine (as you know). You are talking about localization, Im talking about wave cancellation/reinforcement due to reflections. Because we are talking about sound waves that are too low to perceive their source (omnidirectional) does not mean we can ignore wave reflections as well.
... but saying any one way is inherently better just isn't true, especially to the typical person.
This comment confuses me, considering you are trying to convince us rear firing is generally better.
As for the wall thing, you were the one to bring the walls into this discussion. I merely mentioned facing the subs forward with the trunk sealed off. You are trying to take that and say its the same as someone who builds a wall right behind the driver's seat with the sole purpose of acheiving as small a cabin space as possible. My comment did not reflect this type of install procedure. *shrug*

How can you say the waves are no more direct when firing them subs straight at you, versus bouncing them off the rear walls? Bouncing them off a wall will inheritantly give more wave reflection, ending in cancellation and reinforcement, something not friendly to accurately sound reproduction.
No, we aren't talking about tweeters, so? Just because bass is 'omnidirectional' does not mean placing the sub anywhere is fine (as you know). You are talking about localization, Im talking about wave cancellation/reinforcement due to reflections. Because we are talking about sound waves that are too low to perceive their source (omnidirectional) does not mean we can ignore wave reflections as well.

This comment confuses me, considering you are trying to convince us rear firing is generally better.

As for the wall thing, you were the one to bring the walls into this discussion. I merely mentioned facing the subs forward with the trunk sealed off. You are trying to take that and say its the same as someone who builds a wall right behind the driver's seat with the sole purpose of acheiving as small a cabin space as possible. My comment did not reflect this type of install procedure. *shrug*
wall, firing in... both "direct waves" same story... your going to raise the res freq. either way it goes.

You can EQ any setup to sound good... but as said, rear firing just normally works better as far as sound Q, at least as far as I've tested... which has been quite a bit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=023351
Fits well with the conversation. Also, there's nothing you two can say that hasn't already been said there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
spose so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

we woulda got to all that eventually... thanks for killing my joy!

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the setup... I'm a basshead, want loud and low, you get that rear firing more than front firing.

Preferably I'd rather keep path length as far as possible in regards to the woofs, helps flatten things out.

Try both and find out whats best to you is what it comes down to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

k this is what im gonna do...just leave it how it was...but today i took out my rear speakers and left the grill on top....

so right now the sub is facing the rear....

this is fine right? with the trunk having 2 holes?

i just got lost with whatever was saying....

spose so //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
we woulda got to all that eventually... thanks for killing my joy!

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the setup... I'm a basshead, want loud and low, you get that rear firing more than front firing.

Preferably I'd rather keep path length as far as possible in regards to the woofs, helps flatten things out.

Try both and find out whats best to you is what it comes down to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Honestly, you're preaching to the choir. I like a fat ass on my music as well, can always (almost always) be trimmed down with processing. I generally build my systems rear firing when applicable. But we weren't discussing personal preference, we were talking accuracy. The ideal would be to place your speakers in a space with infinite volume (zero wave reflections to cause interferance). When you rear-fire, you build in this possible problem right from the start, you will have considerable wave interferance.

The extra foot or two you'd gain on path lengths firing rearward wouldn't likely even be noticeable on bass notes up to 50ft in length (low 20's).

Cheers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.